Mental Health | Teen Ink

Mental Health

By queen_6502 GOLD, Springfield, Massachusetts
queen_6502 GOLD, Springfield, Massachusetts

"When life hands you lemons, make orange juice and leave the world wondering how you did it"

Sometimes, it's very hard for Americans to understand mental health issues.We think that whatever we can't see, isn't there.This philosophy is very bad for many reasons.It creates a major stigma aroung mental health,and prevents people from getting the help they know they need.Whenever I talk about mental health, I try to compare it to a physical wound, so that people can see how much of an issue it truely is.

As you're reading,I would like you to picture this scenario in your head.Instead of viewing it the way I'm describing it,try to see it as a mental breakdown,in place of what's actually on the paper.

You're cooking dinner,and accidentally cut your arm.You're not going to die,but it isn't a cat scratch either.I'd say that on a 1-10 scale,it's at a 5.Stitches would probably help,but then you think of all the other people who got cuts,and how they toughed it out.You think about all the people who really sliced up their arm,and who might've even died.You decide that you don't need stitches.Unfortunetly,you don't have any real medical supplies at your apartment,so you fix it up as best you can with some napkins and other items.

A few days go by,and then a week.You seem to be fine,but what you don't see are the major issues that are occuring in your arm.Your cut becomes infected,and althought it extremely hurts,you still don't get stitches.You will not be viewed as that person who couldn't take the pain.You will not be the weak link.

In roughly six weeks,you finally have a scab.This is the first time in your life you've ever been so happy to see a scab.You know that it's not good,but it's better than that gushing wound you had before.It's weak,and it breaks,but it something.

Another period of time goes by,and this is different for everyone.But,eventually,you completely heal.Well,almost.You have a scar.Granted,it fades after a while,but it's always there.You probably wouldn't have any scar if you had just gotten stitches,but you're proud of yourself.You toughed it out,you did it.
Or so you think.

The thing about scars is that there not your skin.They heal and they fade,but that portion of your body is never the same as it was once before,and it never will be again.To phrase it perfectly,scars are merely an imitation.They are fake.

This is a mental health problem.You experience an issue,and you could just seek treatmeat and be all better,but you choose to imbrace the stigma and handle it on your own.The issue with that is you never heal completely,and you never heal correctly.You will always have a scar,but it won't be visible.Instead,it will be something that follows you for the rest of your life.

This piece means alot to me personally and I hope everyone enjoys it!