Communities Influence on an Individual | Teen Ink

Communities Influence on an Individual

October 29, 2016
By LiasiaT. BRONZE, Bronx, New York
LiasiaT. BRONZE, Bronx, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

For many years dating all the way back to around the late 1900's, fast food restaurants became very popular and common all over America. Children, adolescents, and adults started to prefer these fast food meals over home cooked meals or healthier dishes that contained less fat and sugar due to convenience and money preservation. And for a number of years now, these same fast food restaurants have became part of the community. Not to mention, they are put at blame for the constant rise of obesity in children and teens in today's day and age. Ultimately, the effect of a community on an individual can be damaging in some cases. 

The 1900's was the time of innovation. People and technology, among others things advanced significantly and it was then fast food restaurants which include White Castle, McDonald, Burger King and etc became so important to the human diet. Considering the low cost of the food, the income a average person has and delightful taste of the food, individuals felt it was suitable to eat these fattening foods on a daily basis. It basically, fit their needs for the time being until they were hungry again. Being that corperations like McDonalds and Burger King went viral very fast and spread to different sections of the globe, it was part of everyones community nature to feed into those advertisements. Which also is one of the leading causes for the obestiy of children and young adults all over the world. The community decision to continue to encourge this is making it very hard for certain individuals to maintain a certain lifestyle. 

According to Marie Ellis in Teen obesity linked to serious health problems in adulthood, permanent health risk are a definite and direct result of over-eating commonly thought to be children and young adults. And being said, problems like obesity within any individual despite age is always going to be a issue due to the community and its inability to try and make fast food a lot less part of their diet as well as taking hints from sporting advertisements. 

In conclusion, the link between community and individuals specifically comes from involvement. In this case, an individuals involvement in fast food communities resulted in obesity which eventually can cause permanent damage to the human body.  


The author's comments:

This is an editoral I had to complete for my English class answering the question "How can we balance being individuals with being members of a community?"