Procrastination | Teen Ink

Procrastination

October 14, 2016
By snezhana BRONZE, Battle, Washington
snezhana BRONZE, Battle, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Remember those stressful nights where you sit and do your homework at 2:00 am trying to keep your eyes open? And all of this is just because of your procrastination. Procrastination makes you stressed out, tired and lowers your grades. Don’t procrastinate instead do your work on time because it is way harder to do your homework later then right away and there will be no time for it except your sleep time and here is my bad experience with procrastination.


I was in seventh grade and I went to school and of course like every kid I got homework. But every time I got home no way did I want to do it there were better things to do, and I always thought that I could do it the next day. The next day came, the day flew by and that's when I realized I still didn't have any time for my homework. I was having too much fun hanging out with my friends or just simply doing chores.


The nice sunny warm day passed by, everything had seemed to go perfect. That night as I was walking upstairs to my room my sister asked, “ don’t you have school tomorrow?” That is when I realized that I didn't finish my business project that was due tomorrow, and also had to be presented. “Yes I do”, I replied disappointed in myself. There was no way I was going to get much sleep that night. I was so stressed out but I had to get the homework done. I went back down the stairs and made myself a cup of good hot coffee to keep me awake through the night. Then went up to my room and got to work on it. I tried to do it as fast as I could. It was around ten when I began to work on it and it felt as if I were never going to get done with this business poster that I had to do. Hours and hours flew by. I was so tired and I had wished so badly that I would have done it earlier and would have been getting my good night sleep. But now I was stressing out and just trying to get done with it. I was getting so tired I couldn't keep my eyes open. By the time I was done with this project that I had to present the next day it was around 4:00 am. That night I only got three hours of sleep.


The next day in the morning I felt horrible and couldn't think straight. This made me hate myself for procrastinating more and more. The class that I had to present in was my first period, I couldn't even think of what to say on my presentation about my business choice. I was talking very quietly and my mind was going blank. My friend kept on telling me “talk louder”,  I seemed loud enough but I was super quiet.


That day the teacher didn't seem so happy with me. And later I had a science test that I couldn't think through at all I kept rereading it but still couldn't understand what it was asking me to do. Throughout the day I couldn't concentrate on what the teacher was saying at all. All I wanted was to go home and sleep. Eventually the school day ended and I got home. What a relief it was. Well now I kinda have learned my lesson but I still do procrastinate a little on some of my homework when I just don't feel like doing it, but I do try not to procrastinate.


Don’t procrastinate on your homework. When you do, you get no sleep and feel tired the whole school day and feel less stressed out doing homework on time and even before time. I think that procrastination is a problem that a lot of students have, and not because they don't have time to do their homework but simply because they pick certain priorities over others which make them procrastinate. The best way to do your homework without procrastinating is doing it as soon as you get home from school or whenever you have free time. Try and do your homework as soon as you get it and this way you won't have to constantly think about doing it and worry about it later, and you'll also have a good night sleep and a fresh mind in the morning.


The author's comments:

Its my personal story and experience and why you should not follow in my steps.