Cigarettes Should Only Be Sold to People Who Are 60 Years Old or Older | Teen Ink

Cigarettes Should Only Be Sold to People Who Are 60 Years Old or Older

By Rigo13 BRONZE, Independence, Missouri
Rigo13 BRONZE, Independence, Missouri

Cigarettes should only be sold to people who are 60 years old or older

You know when you pass your driver’s test you can get your license, right? What if there was a licence for people 60 years or older, so only they could get cigarettes and they just had to prove they were 60 or older, but no one under 60 could get it. It would be better for everyone, because it would make younger lives live longer, older people are most of the time wiser, and they have lived a life.

It would make younger lives live longer and it will let them have a real life. 150,000 kids smoke, and about 50,000 will die from a smoking disease.  Each cigarette smoked takes about 7 or 8 minute of your life away. But all added up it could take away 10 or more years away from your life. Now, if older people had a little control of the problem, would it help?

A lot of the time older adults are wiser than younger adults. So there could be less cigarettes handed out freely to kids. Research shows that even though that the brain does slow down with age, it gives them more insight on things. The more age they gain, the more they are not controlled by emotions, so they make better decisions on somethings. And finally, they have lived most of their life.

They have lived a lot of their lifetime if they choose to smoke, they smoke. By then they will know a least a few risk of smoking and not even smoke. But if they do smoke, they have lived a lot of their live, kids and younger adults have not lived most of their lives, so they shouldn’t smoke. Now i’m not say just because they are older they can just DIE, I think no one should smoke, but they might make better choices and save lives. So if they save lives by not handing over a cigarette to a kid, then I think it would be okay to let them smoke, they know the risk, so if they want to it would be better than a kid doing it.

So those are some reason why I think Cigarettes should only be sold to people who are 60 years old or older. It would be better for everyone, because it would make younger lives live longer and it will let them have a real life, a lot of the time older adults are wiser than younger adults, and they have lived a lot of their lifetime if they choose to smoke, they smoke.