Society Is Plain Wrong | Teen Ink

Society Is Plain Wrong

By Haley23023 BRONZE, New Prague, Minnesota
Haley23023 BRONZE, New Prague, Minnesota

“You are imperfect. Permanently and inevitably flawed. And you are beautiful,” as quoted by Amy Bloom. Society today is all about using media for pointless things. Some people use it for good things, some people use it for bad things. On Facebook, people post pictures all the time of their body and face. People use the internet mostly for all the likes and to be noticed. More likes makes the person feel more wanted. The internet is being used more for cyber-bullying because it is more anonymous. It’s like going to a random website and getting ads showing models wearing clothes that you should buy. Also, feeling so depressed from everybody bringing you down that you just want to lay in bed all day long and not eat. Body image affects people of all ages because the modeling industry has impossible standards, depression can change your habits, eating disorders distorts the body.

A big thing in body image is looking at all the super skinny models they use for fashion shows and ads. The body fat for a healthy women is 21-24%. For a model, it is 14-20% (Cross). Eating disorders can often happen from wanting to lose weight to have a body shape of a model. If you google eating disorders and models, the results are terrifying. People go to fashion shows to look at the clothes. In reality to look good for one, you have to go nine days on a liquid diet and 12 hours without eating and drinking before the show to have that good figure (Cross). But this diet doesn’t always work for a person. The feeling of wanting to lose weight for someone who is “overweight” goes straight to not eating much at all. After they get a few compliments, they won’t just stop because they want to keep feeling good about themselves. Seeing ads of a body you wish you could have is something people strive for. Dove made a commercial of showing how models are photo-shopped. We do not see that though. We view it as we need to look that way to feel good. We will try everything just to get that figure. Even if it means we need to starve ourselves. Eating disorders can do much more than help you with that perfect body. Think of what that person's mind and the body is like after being that way for a long time. The feeling of wanting something so much makes you feel exhausted after a while.

When looking at photos of models, you can feel powered to get that “society” body. It all depends on what is happen when you see things and what is being said. Being bullied over the internet and seeing what’s being said about a skinnier person’s body is a major cause of depression. Depression can change your habits all together. You start having weird mood changes and start acting like someone you are not. You love playing tennis and now you just don’t feel like playing anymore. You have thoughts that you never thought of before. You believe you are the names people call you. You won't eat at all because you think it will make you even more fatter than you are. This is not something that is good to have going on. Body image is not something we should be making a big deal out of with society. Depression can branch off to many things when looking at body image. When you don’t like what you look like, you will most likely become depressed, anxious, and suicidal (Negative Body Image). "We have indeed seen a number of teens entering the hospital whose negative feelings about their appearance is a major influence on suicidal thoughts and even suicide attempts, a fact which is often initially not recognized by parents and even professionals," says lead author, Jennifer Dyl, PhD, with Bradley Hospital and Brown Medical School. This affects more than just little kids and teenagers, it affects everyone. We will try anything to be accepted from society. You not only feel exhausted but things start changing in your body.

Eating disorders can do a lot of damage to your health and mind. Eating disorders affect the nervous system in many ways. It also affects everyday obstacles. The patient will have difficulty thinking, switching tasks, and setting priorities. It also reduces heart rate, which could deprive the brain from oxygen. It affects the emotional part of the brain that can lead to depression, isolation, and irritability (“How Eating Disorders”). Eating disorders are a huge problem for people who are affected by body image. Nobody gets that every person’s normal body type is different. The body is what keeps a person going but for an eating disorders it breaks it away slowly. Your body eats away at your muscles as it becomes weaker. The person's bones become dry and brittle from reduced bone density. You can get kidney failure from dehydration. Your teeth can decay from your stomach acid (National Eating Disorders). Everybody is made to be different and to stand out from this sick cruel world. Don’t worry what people think about your body. If you love it, show it off. Your health is way more important than what people think your body should be like.

Body image is a big deal with being models, can change your habits, and eating disorders is not healthy for your body. Body image does so much damage to a person it’s unreal. Will not eating make my body look like a models? No, it won’t unless you want to be cold all the time and end up killing yourself faster. This generation is so sickening with body image, it’s sad. Start loving your body more than you did before because you are perfect just the way you are. Who cares what society says. People will love you no matter what.

Works Cited

Cross, Poppy. "The 4-month Hell of Being Turned into a Victoria's Secret Angel: Lifting More
than. You Weigh, Impossible Diets, No Liquid for 12 Hours before Showtime... and a £15k Bill Read More: Daily Mail.com. N.p., 21 June 2015. Web. 25 Jan. 2016.
"Health Consequences of Eating Disorders." National Eating Disorders. 4 Girls Foundation, n.d.
Web. 26 Jan. 2016.
"How Eating Disorders Affect the Neurobiology of the Brain." The Emily Program. N.p., 23
Mar. 2015. Web. 26 Jan. 2016.
Lifespan. "Negative Body Image Related To Depression, Anxiety And Suicidality."
ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 6 June 2006.