It's Not All Fun and Games | Teen Ink

It's Not All Fun and Games

By Madeline Moore BRONZE, Corvallis, Oregon
Madeline Moore BRONZE, Corvallis, Oregon

One in four girls or 25% of young women experience sexual abuse by the age of 18. However, only about 31% of teen sexual abuse incidents are reported. But what defines sexual assault? The answer is simple; ANY type of unwanted sexual contact is considered assault. In order for sexual activity to be appropriate it must be consensual. Consent does not mean receiving a loosely clarified “yes” from a person who is intoxicated or unknowingly drugged. Sexual assault is an ongoing problem that may never be eradicated, but prevention is key in decreasing its effect. The two best ways to target sexual assault lie in safety planning and maintaining your privacy in online settings.

Most teen sexual abuse victims know their abuser. In this case, “most” means seven out of every ten victims, or 70% of victims, are assaulted by a family member or someone close to their family. One of the best ways to reduce this number is through safety planning. Safety planning includes planning for a future crisis, considering your options, and making informed decisions. One of the first things to do when it comes to safety planning is preparing yourself for reaching out. Abuse is not something that should be kept a secret and it is important to learn how to be open about your situation. Second, it is crucial to be aware of the resources and safe places that surround you. There are so many resources available but they are often not used to their full capacity. Do your research on who to talk to and where to go in case of a crisis. Lastly, prepare a plan B. This will enable you to get out of a sticky situation in case plan A is no longer a viable option. Your plan B should include memorization of trusted phone numbers and addresses in case your phone dies, and things such as spare stashes of cash in case your credit card is unavailable. You will feel exponentially more comfortable as you prepare yourself for these unwanted situations.

Did you know that there are over 2 billion active social media accounts? There are over 5,700 new tweets every second, and Facebook users share almost 3 billion pieces of content each day. As social media sites become more popular it is crucial that you learn to be safe while using them. There are five simple steps to follow when preparing to be safe online. First, personalize your privacy settings. Select options on your social media accounts that will limit who can view what you share. Second, pause before you post. Once information is posted online, it is there forever. Even if content is deleted it may be recovered through screenshots or special recovery sites. Third, make sure you turn off geolocation. Many social media sites will request to access your location, but you can still get the most of your app experience without giving away it away. Fourth, refrain from using public Internet connections. Limit your use of social media sites to places where you are using personal Wi-Fi networks. Lastly, inform your friends of your privacy preferences. Make sure that your friends respect your wishes about deleting posts that embarrass you. In the end, if someone begins to make you feel uncomfortable online report the interaction to the website and to trusted family members. Social media sites are a great way to connect with people but it is important to use them correctly.

As mentioned before, there are ample resources for victims of teen sexual abuse. One national resource is called WEAVE. WEAVE maintains a 24/7 hotline at 916-920-2952. Call here to report abuse and get more information. RAINN, or the national network for rape, abuse, and incest, has a website that provides extensive information on preventing sexual abuse. This information includes statistics on the problem, and information regarding the aftermath and recovery process for victims of assault.  RAINN also provides a service that aids in finding local counseling centers all over the nation. By following this link, http://centers.rainn.org/, you will find organizations in your area that are open to the public. For example, in Corvallis, Oregon there is an organization called CARDV; it is the Center Against Rape and Domestic Violence. CARDV gives free access to a local Oregon hotline at the number of 541-754-0110. In addition to this hotline they provide support groups, a 24-hour emergency shelter, and the unique resource to have legal help in receiving a restraining order against your abuser. The most important thing to remember is that there are resources available to you on both a local and national scale.

The best thing teens can do to take charge of their sexual health is to be aware. Be aware of your resources, surroundings, and risks. Awareness brings security. By being aware you are helping yourself be safe and happy. Be an advocate for awareness of sexual abuse by using safety planning tactics and by being safe on social media. These things will give you the opportunity to keep yourself and others safe. Take that opportunity!

I hope teens will take the information given in this article to heart. Sexual assault is not a make-believe problem. It is real and happening everyday. Please use your resources and take a stand against sexual abuse.