Insomnia and Teens | Teen Ink

Insomnia and Teens

By Cassia_S GOLD, Princeton, New Jersey
Cassia_S GOLD, Princeton, New Jersey

It’s the beginning of another school year, and so many wonderful events await us. But for many of us, something is standing in the way of a successful year, because for some unknown reason, we’re already so tired and sleepy. Additionally, it seems like a good night's rest is impossible to achieve. Sound familiar?

If this does indeed reflect how you feel, then you could be one of the many teens suffering from insomnia, defined simply as the inability to sleep. This may mean the most common “I can’t fall asleep,” waking up multiple times a night, or having trouble staying asleep.

But before going into the details, it’s important to know why teenagers need sleep. To begin with, sleep is needed to recharge the body and to prepare us for the next day. A good night’s sleep gives the energy and concentration needed for success in any activity. At the same time, when we sleep, our bodies are changing and our brains are developing. In fact, our brains develop until we are around twenty-five years old!

Unfortunately, most people do not sleep enough to satisfy their needs. An average teen needs at least 8 ½ hours of sleep a day, but most fall short. For one, school starts early enough to disrupt the sleeping patterns of many students! However, just because one is tired does not mean that they are suffering from a sleep disorder. The most common symptoms of insomnia are:
1) daytime tiredness or sleepiness
2) having trouble falling or staying asleep
3) difficulty paying attention, concentrating on tasks or remembering
4) tension headaches
5) distress in the stomach and intestines

On the other hand, just because one has insomnia doesn’t mean that they have live with it, because there is a solution! It may vary from person to person as different teenagers require different amounts of sleep, but some of the most effective treatments are:
1) creating a calm atmosphere around the bedroom
2) becoming educated about healthy sleep habits
3) using relaxation techniques such as meditation and breathing exercises
4) not drinking anything with caffeine after 4 p.m.
5) using cognitive behavior therapy, a kind of therapy that helps eliminate the negative thoughts and worries that keeps one awake.

With time, you may find that your sleep habits have improved. Sleep will no longer be an issue, and you may find that you feel more energized and ready to do anything and everything. Without sleep distracting your focus, there will now be the energy needed to succeed!

Works Cited:

"Insomnia." Mayo Clinic. Mayo Foundation, 4 Apr. 2014. Web. 17 Sept. 2015.
          con-20024293>.

"Sleep and Teens." UCLA health. UCLA, n.d. Web. 17 Sept. 2015.
     .