Go Vegetarian! | Teen Ink

Go Vegetarian!

June 5, 2015
By bellacallo BRONZE, Amherst, New York
bellacallo BRONZE, Amherst, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The food pyramid. Were taught this at a young age in health class. Vegetables, fruits, dairy, grains and meats. Taught we were supposed to have meat in our diet in order to be healthy. But, according to the USDA, and the Food and Agriculture organization of the United Nations, “Meat is not an essential part of a healthy diet.” Compared to meat diets, Vegetarian diets are much healthier. Vegetarian diets prevent diseases, reduce global warming, and help the lives of animals all over the planet. Considering all these factors, vegetarian diets are better than meat diets.

Famous indian spiritual leader, Gandhi once said, “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it’s animals are treated.” Saying, how we take care and respect the animals that live on our planet is a reflection of ourselves as a whole. By becoming a vegetarian, you choose to stick up for those without a voice. You choose to care for them, and make it known you don’t want animals to die just so you can be nourished. Ethical reasons aren't the only reason some switch to a vegetarian diet. Health factors also contribute. Some realize the many health benefits that being vegetarian has, and choose to do it because of that. Others choose a vegetarian diet over a meat one for the environment. Knowing that meat- eating diets indirectly contribute to deforestation for cattle, grain and corn. Along with the fact raising cattle and feed requires mass amounts of water that could be used elsewhere.

Wanna Increase the number of years you’ll be alive for? Go vegetarian! Studies show that vegetarian males live 7.28 years longer and females live 4.42 years longer than meat eaters.Vegetarian diets come with health advantages. According to the American Dietetic Association, Vegetarian diets lower blood cholesterol levels, blood pressure levels, reduce the risk of diabetes, heart disease, and hypertension. The ADA says “Vegetarian diets tend to have a lower body mass index and lower overall cancer rates.” Vegetarian diets also tend to be lower in saturated fat as well as cholesterol. They have higher levels of magnesium, dietary fiber, vitamins, and potassium. Vegetarian diets provide a more healthful form of iron than a meat based one. The primary source of bacteria found in meat and poultry  such as Salmonella, e-coli and other foodborne pathogens is animal waste, or feces. In one study 20% of 200 retail ground meat samples were contaminated with salmonella bacteria.

According to the American Dietetic Association (ADA), ‘Vegetarian diets prevent diseases such as heart disease, obesity, and cancer.” Studies show that vegetarians are up to 40% less likely to develop cancer than meat eaters. Fish eating vegetarians, known as pescatarians, had a 43% lower risk of colorectal cancers than nonvegetarians. Kathryn Spitz Cohan, had already been living a vegetarian life for three years,  when an aggressive form of breast cancer was diagnosed upon her. The cancer was so severe, it required Kathryn to not just go  through the expected and traditional 4 rounds of chemotherapy, but eight. During her treatment, she and her husband became fully vegan. Maintenance of energy levels during the chemotherapy was one benefit of her exercise, yoga and diet. Milestones were soon made as the Cohan couple climbed the steepest side of Acadia National Park’s highest mountain during her treatment. The regime seemed to work. When she went back to see her doctor again, they were shocked. All her signs of cancer were gone. There wasn’t even a sign it had ever been there. It was the most incredible response to treatment her doctor had ever seen. “The change to a vegan diet was Absolutely essential to overcoming breast cancer.” Kathryn said. “It's been four years, i can't say i'm out of the woods or that it will not come back. But i know i'm doing everything in my power to lead a healthy lifestyle, and it feels good. i dont feel like i'm denying myself anything or restricting my life. i love the food. the food is delicious.”

Not only do vegetarian diets help the body, but they also help the environment In order to produce 257 hamburgers, one football field of rainforest is destroyed every second. If every american at least tried skipping one meal of chicken per week, the C02 savings would be the same as taking more than half a million cars off the United States roads. Vegetarian diets also lead to lower greenhouse emissions. With a meat diet, in order to produce one pound of meat, you need 2,500 gallons of water. Thats water wasted, that could be used for so many other things, like energy or hydration to our bodies. Nearly 80% of land deforested in the amazon is now used as cattle pasture.

In one year, the average american consumes 130 shellfish, 40 fish, 26 chickens, 1 turkey, half a pig, and one tenth of a cow. This adds up to to 38,627 of animals slaughtered in the U.S in one minute. 2,317,596 animals an hour, 56,622,293 per day and tens of billions per year. So, if we all went meat-free even just one day a week, it'd result in a billion fewer animals confined on factory farms, and sent to slaughter. Animals are deprived of veterinary care,exercise, sunlight, and even the feel of grass beneath their feet in, while awaiting slaughter. “Broiler chickens” are raised for their meat, are packaged in filthy,overcrowded sheds and bred to grow so quickly that they suffer many birth defects. Many pigs are kept pregnant and imprisoned inside tiny metal gestation crates so small they can’t turn around, lie down comfortably, or engage in any natural behavior. As “Happy Cow”, the healthy eating guide, says, “Animals are not ours to use as food.”

Even though meat is the most convenient nutritional source and has been part of society for billions of years, switching to a vegetarian diet is well worth it. Diets limited to vegetables,fruits, nuts, beans,spices and herbs increase fiber intake. Vegetarian athlete Matt Frazier, says he even became a stronger runner almost immediately after switching to a vegetarian diet. He even has a website, called No Meat Athlete, where he tells his story and his experience, as well as recipes, to interact with fellow vegetarians. On his website, in one of his articles, he includes how one of the ultramarathoners of all time, Scott Jurek is vegan. He also includes that nutrition science prefers a whole-plant-food diet rather than a vegan one.

So, even though meat is the easiest,and most convenient way of finding the necessary nutrients for your body, if you choose to not be as lazy as the rest of america, you can obtain all that's needed to be nutritional and healthy along with making a difference in the world by decreasing global warming, and saving animals worldwide. It's often thought you won't be able to get all the needed vitamins and protein your body needs with meat. But that's not true! Many foods such as beans, nuts, and veggies have all the nutrients you need. It's all a matter of working hard to do what's right, by finding and consuming what you need. Think of not only the lives of animals you'll be saving, but your own with all the health benefits being vegetarian has. As “Happy Cow”, The healthy eating guide says, “Human societies will be able to alleviate the needless suffering and deaths of countless animals, the irreplaceable damage done onto the earth like air and water pollution, waste of precious energy, and deforestation. Raising and eating meat leaves behind an environmental toll that generations to come will be forced to pay.”


The author's comments:

What inspired me to write this piece, was obtaining the knowledge of what was going on in slaughter houses all across the country. I didn't approve of the horrible treatment of the animals. I wanted to stick up for them, and protect them however I could. Being an athlete, as I am, you'd think it'd be difficult for me to become vegetarian and go without meat. We're all told we need the mean and protein to recover. But, with the proper diet plans and supplements, I'm able to go vegetarian, help my health, the animals, and thr enviornment all at the same time. I recommend a vegetarian diet to everyone, and encourage them to do the same. Just because they're animals, doesn't make them worth less than they are worth, we're HUMAN beings, not the only beings on the planet. And we should all respect each other enough not to harm one another.