Life In Color | Teen Ink

Life In Color MAG

By JackMcDonough SILVER, Doylestown, Pennsylvania
JackMcDonough SILVER, Doylestown, Pennsylvania

Life in color. No, am not referring to the widely popular adolescent rave where attendants are doused in multicolored paint while enjoying a party atmosphere. I am referring to the neurological phenomenon known as synesthesia. The word can be broken down for a better understanding by isolating the Greek prefix “syn,” meaning together, and the suffix “aesthesia” which is derived from a more complicated Greek word meaning sensation. The general meaning of the word can be summarized as the involuntary intertwining of the senses.

Scientists have had trouble defining this so-called disorder because it has many variations. The most common type of synesthesia is called grapheme synesthesia. I was recently diagnosed with this. I have experienced color sensations for as long as I can remember but never thought anything of it. Realizing there is a word for this inspired me to share my experiences of what it is like to perceive the world through a unique lens.

Grapheme synesthesia is the mind’s ability to connect numbers and letters with specific colors. Ever since I was small I have experienced these connections not knowing what they were. Now I know that these patterns are not a mere coincidence but have actually been labeled and placed under the term synesthesia. Those who have been asked what they see for certain objects have reported different colors with no evident pattern.

Although this condition, if it can even be called that, holds no apparent usefulness, I felt compelled to write about it because I kept it to myself for so long. Throughout my education, every teacher of every grade has had a color. For instance, Mr. Geist was green, Ms. Jeffers was blue, and Ms. Romano was brown. Math class is always very colorful because single numbers have their own color as well as multi-digits. I attempted to draw conclusions as to how multi-digit numbers were assigned their colors, but my efforts were inconsistent and ultimately frustrating. For example, a yellow 3 and a blue 2 equals a green 32, but any manipulation of these numbers yields various results (3 multiplied by 2 equals an orange 6).

Some words have colors in my mind as well. I don’t mean that I look at a paper and physically see words in color. I mean that while reading, colors appear in my head, usually in the form of organic shapes. I have sometimes found my mind wandering when I read while I wait for the color to fade. If I read fast the colors merge and form a murky brown. Although this may sound peculiar, it is useful; I can gauge whether I am retaining the information depending on the clarity of the colors and their separation as they appear and fade.

Some people experience synesthesia that involves smelling and feeling colors. Others eat certain foods and chemicals in their brain trigger bursts of neurological color. I enjoy exploring the various functions of the brain and the different elements that come with it. Although color synesthesia is rather frivolous in comparison to other brain disorders, research has enabled people like me to rationally explain things that may at first seem strange and unnatural.

I pride myself on my color connections because it makes me unique.

I was inspired to write this piece to share something that I experience everyday of my life that is considered different.  My intentions were to not only share the unique viewpoints of a grapheme synesthete but to encourage other writers to share what makes them unique and create a network of sorts to celebrate individuality.  As stated in the article, a world in which all are the same is a dull and monotonous one.  Thank you for reading, hope you enjoy this piece.

on Nov. 17 2020 at 11:41 am
@Katmcd25 Kate your on teen ink?? that Is awesome. share with me some of your work or English assignments!

Katmcd25 BRONZE, Washington, Connecticut

"We all have wings, but some of us don't know why." -Paloma Faith

hi jack its kate. i read a mango shaped space. its rly good

on Nov. 19 2016 at 11:41 am
sharpened_pencil GOLD, Warren, New Jersey

"Life can suck, sure. Mostly though it's a blank canvas. If you want to see something brighter in it, you might have to add it yourself." -Patrick Stump, Fall Out Boy

The author is Wendy Mass, she actually visited my school when I was younger. I loved learning about synesthesia during her visit and that book taught me a lot too!

I definitely need to read it, thanks so much for your comment. And yes exactly! That's a great way to describe it I hadn't though of that, very cool

beyondthesky PLATINUM, Santa Monica, California

It's nicer to think dear, pretty thoughts and keep them in one's heart, like treasures. I don't like to have them laughed at or wondered over.
-L.M. Montgomery (Anne of Green Gables)

It is an amazing book! I remember it almost made me jealous of people with your "condition"! You should read it :) Also, amazing piece, I love learning about synesthesia...it's seems like such an interesting way of seeing the world...as if your senses are artists. :))

Thanks! I would love to read it.

on Nov. 3 2016 at 10:40 am
dragonstar BRONZE, Olympia, Washington

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars."
-Les brown

I have read a book with the main character that has this. For those who are interested, its called 'a Mango Shaped Space'. Sorry that I don't remember the Authors Name, but its a very good book.