Harm Is More Than Hate and Hurt | Teen Ink

Harm Is More Than Hate and Hurt

By nothankyou SILVER, Lancaster, New York
nothankyou SILVER, Lancaster, New York

Be something, I know it can be hard but you have to go though it to get past it -Alexa_l. (Teen Ink)

What is self harm? What counts as self harm? Why do people do it? Who’s to blame? What do these people look like? Self harm around the world is a growing problem, it’s time to understand the whos, whats, and whys of this issue.

What is and counts as self harm? Self harm is a non suicidal attempt (unless escalated) committed for various reasons. Forms include cutting, purging, and other forms of intentional malnutrition.

Why do people do it to themselves? As already said, people will hurt themselves for a variety of reasons. Although some answers may sound “ridiculous” or “annoying” but that’s someone’s train of thought. I as an individual am not siding with any party on this topic. In some cases people are depressed, have been hurt or suffering, taken on too much stress, enjoy the pain, or want to be heard/noticed. The last one is highly controversial, being heard/noticed has so many different definitions. As for what they mean in this context, these particular people are the most fragile. They want to be noticed in life as someone important and popular, rather than for who they are. They don’t realize how beautiful and admired they are in reality. Not to say that doing this is right, but the wrong reason for cutting etc. is for being the “star of the show”. They want to be cooler than everyone else, and the of all and be all of everyone’s lives.

Who’s to blame? You are. The people around you are. Everyone whether we know them or not is to blame in one way or another. We blame society yet we are society, nobody has the courage to own up to their mistakes. Instead we’re a community of he-said-she-said and untrue apologies. Think, have you ever said something or done something that you regret to someone or towards a particular group of people? If you say no, you’re lying. You could be the most charming and well rounded person in the world, but at one point or another someone will be hurt by you intentionally or not. What you think is funny could be painful or bring back pain to another person. We’re numb to what we say as individuals, it’s time to stop and think twice before we speak, obviously once isn’t enough.

What do these people look like? There isn’t a particular look, and it’s awful to assume because of someone’s style or outlook, maybe even perspective on life, that they do or don’t self harm. You never know if someone does unless they themself verify and say it. Do not ever judge a book by it’s cover.