Electronic Cigarettes Are Not That Bad | Teen Ink

Electronic Cigarettes Are Not That Bad

Electronic Cigarettes, E-cigs for short, have existed since the 1960s when Herbert A. Gilbert had and the idea for a Electronic Cigarettes, and patented it; but that did not survive. Han Lik’s, a Chinese Pharmacist and Smoker, father died of lung cancer. Sparking the idea for this electronic cigarette device.Recently, E-cigs have become more and more popular among trying-to-quit smokers.

Since the popularity, there has been a huge group against E-cigs. Saying they are potentially worse than regular cigarettes. That some e-liquids, the juice that contains the vapor and sometimes nicotine, contain traces of diethylene glycol, and threatening nicotine. Actually, PG is safe for human consumption according to the FD, which can be found in both inhalers and toothpastes. So, yes, E-cigs do contain antifreeze, but not the dangerous industrial kind.

Groups against the E-cig have also claimed that it is safer without using Electronic Cigarettes. Michael Siegel compares heroin users using the painkiller alternative to tobacco and E-cigs, it may have its own risks, but it is a lot safer than the original. Replacing cigarettes to its electronic alternative, is in fact safer and can help you cut back on tobacco consumption.

So, are E-cigs better than regular cigarettes? Although, they may have unknown health risks, they do help long-term smokers quit, and contain safe ingredients.