Should Energy Drinks Banned | Teen Ink

Should Energy Drinks Banned

By Kofidaxxinport BRONZE, Northampton, Other
Kofidaxxinport BRONZE, Northampton, Other

"Ride or Die"- Vin Deisel

“Energy drinks” are beverages that contain caffeine, taurine, vitamins, herbal supplements, and sugar or sweeteners and are marketed to improve energy, weight loss, stamina, athletic performance, and concentration.

Epinephrine is the scientific word for Adrenaline, so what is Epinephine (Adrenaline) It is a special liquid chemical energy, generated in our kidneys. And is not to be wasted (slow to reproduce) , it actually helps us in emergencies, for example if someone is being Sexually Assaulted (not the best example) or faced by a bear or some kind of wild animal or some kind stressful situation, the body activates “The Fight or Flight” it readies up the body to fight or flight/run. The Epinephrine kicks in...Brain capacity increases thinking ability, reasoning logic and problem solving puts ahead with full brain energy. Heartbeat increases, lung’s takes in more oxygen, to be carried on to the vital muscles thus increasing strength for fight and speed for flight, sometimes goose bumps increasing skin senses and in some cases reducing internal injuries, hearing range enhanced to be able to hear a pin drop, In some cases eyesight enhanced to supreme level thus night vision, reflexes enhanced. Immune system and digestive system shuts down for that the energy used in those areas to be summoned up to muscles to keep up stamina.  Now we see that all of this works without a trigger of energy drinks, this all self triggered in the mind of fear or any other emotional stress thus sending itself into Adrenaline mode.

Now if one drinks energy drinks the caffeine will make all of the above automatically happen and in the subconscious state of Mind. However what does Caffeine have to this? Well it plays the hugest role in this argument, high consumption could and would eventually be fatal. Remember the heart rate increases and high consumption will just tire out the heart and could possibly lead to Cardiac Arrest.

Energy drinks? While most energy drinks don’t have as much caffeine as a Starbucks’ coffee, however they are heavily sweetened and easy to drink. Thus, we are seeing increased incidents of 18 and younger having dangerous side effects from consuming too many energy drinks at one time. According to self-report surveys, energy drinks are consumed by 30% to 50% of adolescents and young adults. Frequently containing high and unregulated amounts of caffeine, these drinks have been reported in association with serious adverse effects, especially in children, adolescents, and young adults with seizures, diabetes, cardiac abnormalities, or mood and behavioral disorders or those who take certain medications. Several countries and states have debated or restricted energy drink sales and advertising. Well to many of our generation energy drinks creates a major debate, I have asked 30 people inc. students and teachers. Some answered “well why drink energy drinks when you can drink a multivitamin drink” others say “it make me hyper active in fact and i feel like running and never stop.”

One of classmates explains why she choses “Good”and this is what she said “Well I drink it when I go training, its my life, I cant do anything without it, energy drinks and basketball, my life”. If She knew what is was written is this essay her answer will be a total different story. Well the big question is why did many vote for bad? I asked one of my teachers and he said “well i drink it i know it’s not good but i take it for just quck boost in case i am writing an email or correcting some tests, i know it’s not good i mean that energy is pure or good it’s just like a quick boost but after i sleep like a Dead man”. He is actually right.

Energy drinks have no therapeutic benefit, and many ingredients are understudied and not regulated. The reports of toxicity, raises concern for potentially serious adverse effects in association with energy drink use. In the short-term, pediatricians need to be aware of the possible effects of energy drinks in vulnerable populations and screen for consumption to educate families. Long-term research should aim to understand the effects in at-risk populations. Toxicity surveillance should be improved, and regulations of energy drink sales and consumption should be based on appropriate research.