Obesity or Heart Disease? | Teen Ink

Obesity or Heart Disease?

November 18, 2014
By cassidywalker BRONZE, Lunenburg, Massachusetts
cassidywalker BRONZE, Lunenburg, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

My generation is taking McDonald’s to a new extreme. Some people I know even go multiple times in a day!! The convenience of a hot meal in under five minutes is making people choose … Obesity or Heart Disease? The problem of fast food doesn’t just lie in the hands of the teens who choose to eat it, parents of the teens are also at fault. Many kids are brought up on McDonald’s. It is even said to be a reward says lliana Nguyen, staff writer of the SQ online.  The consumption of any fast food leads to many other diseases than just obesity and heart disease.
From a statistical point of view, Thirty-seven percent of Americans had heart disease in 2010. That number is said to grow at least five percent by the year 2030, stated by Sharon Therien. That is a severe increase, which is going to lead to many deaths. Other than heart disease, there is also obesity which is a huge worry among teens and young adults. Thirty-four percent of Americans face obesity each day. The main cause to this is that they are choosing to eat 1500 calories or more just in one meal at McDonald’s, as Sarah Muntel says. Although many people like to think that obesity is not truly caused by fast food, it is. A few other diseases caused by over eating fast food are: diabetes, heart attack, high cholesterol, stroke and hypertension. People who chose not to eat fast food regularly were much less likely to get these life altering diseases.


In conclusion, McDonald’s, as well as other fast food restaurants are becoming a huge problem to the health and wellness of the human population. Kids today are choosing to eat these unhealthy food options, even after knowing their negative health effects. Honestly, how could a parent know the negative effects and still feed it to their children daily? Many fast food lovers will argue with the reasoning saying things like, people who are obese don’t exercise enough. This is still true, but before eating all the fast food they weren’t at near as many risks as they are now. The consumption of fast food is causing many life altering diseases and people need to grow awareness in order for them to see the extent of the whole problem.