On Bodybuilding | Teen Ink

On Bodybuilding

By ChristopherChamberlain SILVER, Apache Junction, Arizona
ChristopherChamberlain SILVER, Apache Junction, Arizona

Bodybuilding, by definition, isn’t an extreme sport. However, if you train with psychological fervor there really are no limitations upon the intensity which you can attain to. Bodybuilding is a sport that has no rules, except during competition, since the majority of the work put into this endeavor take place in the gym and the only rules that you have to follow in a gym are those of the individual establishment. If you compete, however, then there are rules and regulations that you must adhere to in order to be eligible not only to compete, but once competing, to compete properly. The first rule of competition is to reach the weight that you wish to compete at. If you weigh more than the given limit for your specific class then you will be ineligible to compete, and since that is the class that you have registered for, you will, by default, be disqualified - so make sure that you reach the required weight. You will most likely be required to undergo a chemical test to locate the presence of performance enhancing drugs. Since there are so many performance enhancing drugs, make sure you look at the regulations for the specific competition that you will be competing in and make sure that you have not, or if you are, to stop, taking the drugs that are prohibited for that competition. Once on the stage the only rules are that you wear the required attire, which, in the case of classic bodybuilding shows is a posing-thong, and that you do the correct turn on command. Other than that there are very few rules and regulations.

This sport falls into the categories of cardio, flexibility, strength, endurance, and body composition. It is also many other things, one of which is art. You are essentially sculpting your body into an aesthetically appealing specimen; and anything that dabbles in the ambit aesthetics is art. The benefits of this sport are numerous and depend, as everything does, entirely upon your approach, your methods, and your personality. However, there are some general benefits that are recompensed across the board. These are:

Mental Discipline: from the putting aside time to rip your body apart microfiber by microfiber to the consistency required to adequately progress, instill within you formidable mental discipline that can carry over to other aspects of your life which can increase efficiency and productivity in other activities and pursuits.

Immersed Involvement: In this sport, if you want results, you have to fully immerse yourself into its subculture. This can give you a sense of identity and purpose which can, in turn, make life more fulfilling. Immersed involvement can also condition you to dive head first into other new endeavors, which can increase the benefits of the venture and may increase your chances of reaching a respectable pinnacle of success.

Confidence: Through the medium of bodybuilding a person who is insecure about their body can gain confidence in their appearance which can ultimately improve their overall quality of life. However, if the insecurities rest in the face then this is not the sport for you. Although, the release of endorphin's such as dopamine and oxytocin can lessen your apprehensions and dissolve your inhibitions thus resulting in less conscious awareness and scrutinization of the imperfections of the face, even if only temporarily. 

Increased Social-Sphere: Whenever you involve yourself in new avenues of life you will, inevitably, meet new people, form new bonds, and acquire new acquaintances. Increasing your social-sphere can prove very beneficial; it can give you previously uncharted insights into other ways of life which in turn will broaden your mind; you can meet new potential partners thus increasing your chances of finding one that you are attract to, and, more importantly, one that is attracted to you; it can increase opportunities. The more people you meet the more “doors” you have, although, not all doors are good doors, so be careful what doors you choose to enter.
Those are but a few of the not-so-endless benefits of bodybuilding. I sincerely hope that you, the reader, can take something away from this and perhaps even indulge in the delights of bodybuilding yourself. 

An article I wrote on bodybuilding, enjoy!