School Lunches Changed Forever? | Teen Ink

School Lunches Changed Forever?

September 30, 2014
By Carly Snyder BRONZE, Bremen, Indiana
Carly Snyder BRONZE, Bremen, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 1 comment


Why should kids have their delicious foods taken away from them? To satisfy Mrs. Obama in her efforts to make the school lunches in cafeterias around the world healthier. In the school year of 2014-2015, Bremen Middle School lunches go through drastic changes to honor Mrs. Obama’s demands of healthier foods to feed to those who may not have healthy meals at home. There is no more A La Carte, no more chips, no more gatorade/powerade, and no more foods that kids and children love.

The goal of this failure of a plan is to have reduced child obesity by 5% by 2030. People around the US have lots of doubts of that goal, because now children are not eating the lunch, instead they are throwing away all the “healthy” factors of it as a boycott to show schools that they don’t like what lunches are now.

All of this was started in the year of 2008, when Obama was elected as president. This movement is called the “Let’s Move Initiative!” launched by Mrs. Obama herself, as she felt the need to reach the source of the mystery of child obesity. She had an idea, thinking that it was school lunches and how schools don’t offer enough “healthy choices” for students to eat. Little did she know that now students are not eating at all, due to the fact that the schools are giving them gross foods made mandatory, and forcing them to choose between odd pairings of food such as a cheese stick with shrimp!

This catastrophic plan has also led over 1 million students to leave lunch lines and the rate is growing steadier and steadier of the years. 321 school districts have left the national “Let’s Move Initiative!” altogether, complaining that now students are wasting resources and foods, as they throw away all their fruits and veggies.

Will the ridding of white bread and Doritos solve child obesity, or will it make everything worse?