Rhynchophorus ferrugineus | Teen Ink

Rhynchophorus ferrugineus

September 1, 2014
By vmv13 BRONZE, Thornwood, New York
vmv13 BRONZE, Thornwood, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

According to an article I read from CNN on July 29th 2014 entitled Can a palm weevil cure world hunger? by Daisy Carrington , Aspire, a program created by Mohammed Ashour, “has a lot of potential” in ending world hunger. The palm weevil is at the crux of Ashour’s project. This program, piloted in Ghana, provides famers in rural and “peri-urban communities” with free training and kits to mass produce weevils; Aspire will then buy back the weevils from the farmers giving them money and benefiting the economy there. Young children and pregnant mothers alike will also be supported because they will now be supplied with the proper nutrition they need with no cost and less use of water, feed and land. Expansion of this program includes breeding and consuming grasshoppers and crickets in different countries as well as the weevil will also help the people in poverty and the economy even more.

Mohammed Ahour has created this program because he believes it will end world hunger, malnutrition, bring communities of poverty and lower carbon dioxide levels worldwide. In my opinion, the palm weevil may help poverty stricken people as well as communities who have malnutrition worldwide. The stunning decrease of water, land and feed required to raise these insects when compared to other food sources like cattle can make a large difference in the economy and carbon dioxide levels. The Aspire program, founded by Mohammed Ashour and others from McGill University may have found a way to rid the poverty stricken world of hunger, malnutrition, polluted air and may even found a way to improve their economical systems.