Take a Stand Against Eating Disorders | Teen Ink

Take a Stand Against Eating Disorders

By thatweirdone BRONZE, Bardwell, Kentucky
thatweirdone BRONZE, Bardwell, Kentucky

"Wrist are for bracelets, not cutting" Kellin Quinn

"Its hard to stop crying when the only person who can get you to stop is the person who made you cry..."

"Do you remeber who you were before the world told you who you had to be.."

Did you know that half a million teens suffer from an eating disorder? Well, it’s true. An eating disorder is any type of unhealthy eating habit, whether it is too much or too little. More teens should take a stand against eating disorders because they are extremely unhealthy and can even lead to death.

There are several types of eating disorders. There is anorexia, a disorder that gives you a fear of gaining weight, even when they are under weight. They may diet or exercise too much or use other ways to lose weight. Another common eating disorder is bulimia. Bulimia is an eating disorder in which a person binges on food, (binge means a whole period devoted to in taking a whole lot of a substance.) or has regular episodes of overeating and feels a loss of control. The person uses different methods such as vomiting or abusing laxatives, to prevent weight gain. Many but not all people with bulimia also have anorexia nervosa.

Now, you may ask why someone would want to have an eating disorder. Well, it’s usually not an eating disorder people strive for; they just want to be skinny. Most people wouldn’t worry about their weight, but wouldn’t you if you were teased about your weight every day? High school students with 58% of boys and 63% of girls experience daily teasing, bullying, or rejection because of their size. Bullying isn’t the only cause of an eating disorder. Eating disorders can be hereditary as well. Cultural preferences to “thinness” are an important factor that contributes to eating disorders.

Here is a thing to remember, guys can have an eating disorder too! Only about 10% of people with anorexia and bulimia are male. It may seem weird for you to think of a boy with an eating disorder, but don’t feel bad. Society often forgets about boys because boys are supposed to be big and bad, but they have feelings too. I think it’s okay for boys to have eating disorders. Remember guys need help, so if you see a boy with an eating disorder, help him, because boys need help as much as any other girl does.

Eating disorders are a very risky thing to have. They contribute too many health issues as well as death. Eating disorders can lead to death because any time you don’t get enough nutrients, many organ functions deteriorate. Another way eating disorders cause death is because they can cause anemia, which is a blood problem, the bone marrow to dramatically reduce the production of blood cells. Some health issues caused by eating disorders are heart attacks, and severe dehydration why can result in kidney failure. Eating disorders can cause hair loss. Low body weight can result in slow heart rate, and low blood pressure. Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness.
Now, you may say some people need an eating disorder because they are kind of chunky, or overweight but that’s not true at all. Nobody needs an eating disorder, and that is absolutely terrible if you think someone should have an eating disorder. There are healthy ways to diet and lose weight, such as eating healthy and getting active for at least 60 minutes a day. Take jumping on a trampoline for instance, if you jump on a trampoline for 30 minutes, you can burn 61 calories.

There should be fewer eating disorders because they are extremely unhealthy and lead to death. Please, if you have an eating disorder, get help. I know someone who had an eating disorder and was hospitalized four times before they recovered. It is very common for recovered anorexics to relapse after hospitalization. Studies show that within two years of hospitals discharge, 35% of women had relapsed into anorexia. I personally think that relapse is natural and it’s extremely hard to avoid. Eating disorders mess with your mind. Eating disorders may make you think that you are fat, or that no one will love you because you are “fat”. Everyone needs to just remember this, no matter what your weight or size, you are all beautiful. Teens should take a stand against eating disorders because their peers will be more likely to listen, and it can prevent other teens from developing eating disorders. I hope everyone will take action, because nobody deserves to die from an eating disorder. They are very painful, and no one should have to go through that.

This article means alot to me. I know alot of people going through this stuff and nobody should ever have to look at themselves in the mirror and cry because how they look. I hope this inspires people to help others and if you have an eating disorder, please get help.