Homework, Good or Bad for You? | Teen Ink

Homework, Good or Bad for You?

Do you get a lot of homework? Well if you do, have you ever thought your grades would be higher with less homework? You should look into it you might get some interesting feedback.

Homework is bad for you. Researchers say it is excessive and counterproductive(Current Events 10/27/06.) The U.S.A has one of the lowest test scores in the whole world because the teachers give high amounts of homework. Homework in high quantities doesn’t pay off. First, teachers say, “the government now requires schools to meet higher-than-ever achievement goals for students. If students don't succeed, the school faces penalties.” Second, many parents want their children to be able to get into the nation's best colleges and universities. These parents believe homework is a way to ensure students are learning at their full capacity.” (Cooper, Harris)

Another issue is that it creates stress. Families see it as an obstacle in their every day life. Kids don’t always get it done because they either don’t understand it-it wasn’t explained enough-, no one knows how to help them do it-parents don’t always understand how to help-, and of course they don’t always want to do homework. Researchers of health say the average homework your supposed to get is ten minutes a night, and most kids end up with an hour or more.

Also activities stay interesting for only so long. Which means students are led to boredom. Homework also denies kids of sports and social activity. “For example, scouting groups and sports teams teach cooperation and leadership, in addition to helping kids stay physically active. Another problem with too much homework is that parents can get too involved. They can put too much pressure on their kids and can confuse them by using different instructional techniques from the teacher's.”(Cooper, Harris)

Homework does teach kids responsibility and good study habits, but what about the important skills you get from sports and social activities. See? That's the issue right there. When you get a lot of homework you don’t want to play the sports, but get it done so your grades stay okay. You can ask almost every kid that plays sports, and I bet nine out of ten would say it’s hard to keep your grades high so you can play sports.

So what do you think should be done? Good homework assignments in the right amount will have positive effects.(Cooper, Harris) Bad homework assignments, or too much, will have the wrong kind of effects. The bottom line: Any kids in grades three through eighth shouldn’t do any more than 30 minutes of homework each night. (Cooper, Harris)

Bibliography
Cooper, Harris. "Kids Get Too Much Homework." Time For Kids volume 12, Issue 810/27/06 6. 12 Nov 2008

.edu/ehost/detail?vid=3

RRicks9 SILVER said...
on May. 5 2017 at 2:58 am
RRicks9 SILVER, Tirana, Other
I think that homework is good because it encourages and reinforces the material that you learn in class at home.

teeninkwizz said...
teeninkwizz,
you dont realize homework is the only thing that gets into into college and gets you a good job, if you dont do you homework and dont get a job then you may end up on the street.

Chlocacola said...
on Dec. 11 2016 at 6:50 am
Yes I agree but it's OK for a little bit of homework but spending a large amount of time on something which stresses you out is bad for you it gives you decreesed sleep which means you have less concentration. This could mean you miss vital information for higher grades

Chlocacola said...
on Dec. 11 2016 at 6:50 am

Chlocacola said...
on Dec. 11 2016 at 6:50 am

Hyacinth said...
Homework is bae

Sucks said...
Sucks,
Homework Homework Homework that is all I hear

Sucks said...
Sucks,
HOMEWORK SMELLS LIKE POOP!!!!!!!

NO MORE HOME WOR... *passes out cause of stress*

thatoneguy said...
on Feb. 11 2016 at 10:37 am
nerrrrrdddddddddddddddddddd

Your mam said...
on Sep. 8 2015 at 6:22 am
isn't that homework?

Awebaga123 said...
I completely agree. I am in 6th grade and im busy doing an oral for on this thing. Its a complete waste of time having to do this stupid homework. Now dont get me wrong i am dislexic so homework is more than a challenge for me but everyone says it is so i think teachers should ban homework.

on Apr. 14 2015 at 11:06 am
RedPanda BRONZE, Easley, South Carolina

"stay true to what you believe in, even if it means to stand alone."

i have a lot of homework from just 2 teachers. it takes me hours to finish it. and i have 2 jobs and i have events i have no choice to go to that i go with family or work. i don't have time to do 5 hours of homework. i wont be able to sleep if i try to get my work done.

p@bidoll$ said...
Why do we have to spend our afternoons toiling away doing homework that no ane wants to do...ahg! I'm gonna write an essay about"no homework" to at least conscientious my teacher of the preasure they are putting on us....or what????

ProfessionalJaywalker GOLD, Rockville, Maryland

"Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were headed for shore." -Ray Bradbury (Fahrenheit 451)

I kindly disagree. I have an obscene amount of homework myself (2-5 hours a night). I'm not a fan, but I acknowledge how important it is for my education. My teachers have 48 minutes a day to cover a lot of information and that's only possible if I do work on my own. I've been forced to learn how to manage my time wisely, cope with stress, and prioritize. I have extracurriculars and a social life and a 4.0 GPA. I can't do all of the things I like; often I'm very stressed and tired and I have to make sacrifices. But that's the trade-off for an education, I'm afraid.

lololololol said...
WE HAZ TOO MUCH HOMEWORK!!! WE NEED NONE!!!! NO HOMEWORK!!!!!

Navi said...
I love homework, we should get more. Send this message to the districts if you WANT EDUCATION. I GET LOTS O HOMEWORK BUT I WANT MORE!

I HATE HOMEWORK

Vexarik said...
More like the opposite of that

Vexarik said...
More like the opposite of that