Nutrition Facts | Teen Ink

Nutrition Facts

April 3, 2014
By Anonymous

The fact is that a lot of people don’t know what nutrition is or what having good nutrition means, which is one of the reasons that the nutrition fact label is being redone by the FDA: to inform people about what it is they are eating. Having a good balance of nutrition helps your body so much and in so many ways. Eating healthy helps you stay fit and be in good health, and it is so important to know this because this information will help you live longer and healthier lives. Nutrition affects you in every way no matter what it is you are doing, whether you're an athlete or have a desk job, it all relates back to your body and it can help you be less stressed and save you from injuries. The nutrition fact label currently states the calories, servings per container, and the other ingredients that are in there according to the FDA. The new nutrition fact label will have the number of calories in giant bold letters since people look at this the most, according to the FDA, and it will feature servings per container that will sound more reasonable than what they are now. It will also have sub-divisions of the carbohydrates, and total fat sections to give you a more precise way of knowing what you are eating. According to the FDA the new fact label will also take away a bunch of the unnecessary things away, for example right now they have Vitamin A which we don’t really need much of and is not that important. The new label will include Vitamin C and potassium which are more important to us.

So how would this new label affect people? According to Nutritionist Sally Fallon Morell does not think “these labels have much effect. The only people who read them are those who are already health conscious.”Even if this new label does not have a positive effect, it is unlikely that it will have a negative one.. A survey of 20 students taken at the NYC ischool states that about 60% of all students don’t look at the current nutrition fact label at all, about 20% of students look at it somewhat, and the other 20% mostly do. Now this is not good if kids don’t know how many calories they’re eating, which could lead to obesity. But when they showed the kids the new nutrition fact label and asked a similar question, about 55% said they would probably notice it and actually think about buying something if it has a lot of calories. About 25% said they might occasionally look at it and actually care, and around 20% of kids said they wouldn’t care at all. These surveys show that the new nutrition fact label does catch people’s attention and the number of people that will look at it increases by more than double, which means that this new fact label could actually help people stay healthy.

What is healthy or what does it mean to stay healthy? According to nutritionist Nancy Collins staying healthy means “Having a balanced diet with a variety of foods including protein, carbs and fats.” It is very important to have a balanced diet because then your body will get everything it needs. Now what would be the ideal diet when trying to stay healthy? For example what kinds of carbs or fats would be important so you can really stay healthy and live a better life?

Nutritionist Susan Kleiner says that “More whole foods vs processed foods,” would be healthier. “Include added sugars as an occasional treat, but not as part of your daily diet.” So adding sugars is important in maintaining a healthy lifestyle to some degree. Lastly she put a lot of emphasis on cooking your own food, because it usually ends up being healthier than what you can get when eating away from home. She says you are more likely to cook something that is healthier because you want to be healthy while restaurants usually add extra carbs and fats that you wouldn’t consider. Eating at home will also save you tons of money; and you would be able to make multiple meals for the exact same price of one meal at a restaurant. Eating less of carbs and fats will give you more energy throughout the day and will make you feel better about yourself, according to FitDay.

Having the right nutrition gives you more energy, helps you stay healthy, and the new nutrition label it will be able to help you improve your consummation of nutrition. The fact label will give people the opportunity to know more exactly what they are eating and how healthy it is. The way to stay healthy according to the nutrition experts is to have a balanced diet and to be able limit the amount of food you eat. Another way they said was good for your health is eating at home instead of going out, it gives you the opportunity to eat healthier foods you otherwise wouldn’t get at a restaurant. Eating correctly and knowing what kinds of food you need and are consuming is the first step to living a healthy lifestyle.