It's Important To Sleep! | Teen Ink

It's Important To Sleep!

By AimenChaudhry GOLD, Lahore, Other
AimenChaudhry GOLD, Lahore, Other

Did you know that sleep deficiency can affect mood and the ability to learn and memorize? This is not it ! It also affects metabolism, appetite, blood pressure, levels of inflammation in the body and perhaps even the immune response.

Health Hazards Linked To Lack Of Sleep
Obesity and Diabetes
Lack of sleep can raise blood sugar levels and slow the body's metabolism, increasing the risk of obesity and diabetes.

Anxiety and Depression
Sleep deficiency can lead to anxiety and depression -- both serious mood disorders. Brain imaging suggests sleep deprivation can boost activity in the brain's emotional centers, according to a study presented at the Associated Professional Sleep Societies in Boston.

Stroke
Short sleep duration is a precursor to other traditional stroke risk factors.
Stroke risk is also higher in people who are overweight, diabetic or hypertensive -- all conditions linked to poor sleep.

Heart Disease
A 2011 study published in the European Heart Journal found people who slept fewer than six hours a night were 48 percent more likely to develop or die from heart disease.

Cancer
Lack of sleep boosts the level of inflammation in the body and also interferes with the immune response-both of which implicate cancer.

So, are you worried ?
Well, read about the Midnight Snacks That Can Help You Sleep :-

Cherry Juice
Two cups of tart cherry juice (one before bed and one in the morning) improves sleep duration and quality.

Oatmeal
A cup of oatmeal made with milk is the perfect snack before bed. Carbohydrates release serotonin, calming the brain.

Nuts
"One serving of almonds is a great choice; there are 22 nuts in one serving, so it's a satiating snack," says Tanya Zuckerbrot, a nutritionist in New York City

Low-Fat Cheese
It is suggested to have one to two ounces of low-fat cheese with five to ten whole-grain crackers, or low-fat Greek yogurt.

Warm Milk
Warm milk is given to children since their childhood. So, the effects are really more psychological!
''If your mother gave you warm milk before bed, you associate it with sleep, so from that perspective, it does work for a lot of people", Breus says.

Good health is important and to have a good health you need to have a good sleep. Read the article to know more about the relation between the health and sleep.

Alan said...
on Aug. 22 2013 at 5:53 am
Quite informative,