More than an alien, ET | Teen Ink

More than an alien, ET

By MissLizzieGirl GOLD, Arvada, Colorado
MissLizzieGirl GOLD, Arvada, Colorado

It started in fourth grade. At first it was a minor thing. Something annoying. Something I sometimes thought was cool. Then it became debilitating. It came to the point where I could not carry a cup of water. Writing became difficult.

My mother took me to the doctor. I explained my symptoms, my shaky hands. After many tests they decided that I had essential tremor. There is nothing essential about essential tremor: or ET as I call it.

Many people do not know about essential tremor. Common among the elderly ET doesn’t seem to make itself known outside the nursing home. The idea of it is your body shakes uncontrollably. For me my hands, and legs are the problem. The shaking of my legs makes it impossible to use stairs. And shaky hands just make everything difficult.

Through these struggles I have learned coping skills for dealing with it. I have learned that if I use a heavy cup it is less easy to spill. But I use sippy cups and travel mugs for most of my beverages. Typing has changed my life, I can say what I want to say through my writing.

I have to say that there were times when it didn't seem worth it. Frustrated because the spoon never makes it into my mouth. Tired because I spent all night handwriting my math homework. Many times I want to give it all up. Say to God “I’m done with this, can you take it back now.”

But sometimes I think of it as simply a technicality. I have ET, sometimes is not what defines me. Because I do not have ET. I am a girl with shaky hands, who does the same things you do.

I would like to promote awareness of ET: for more info visit http://www.essentialtremor.org/

I hold onto hope because that is often the only thing I have left to hold onto.

on Aug. 30 2014 at 3:06 pm
MissLizzieGirl GOLD, Arvada, Colorado
I had never heard of ET before I was diagnosed, which I believe is a bad thing cause about ten million Americans are afflicted with this disorder.

on Feb. 18 2014 at 10:32 am
Authorintraining88 GOLD, Somewhere:p, Massachusetts

You are the universe experiencing itself

I love the tittle and how it connects the piece together! Good job!

Lizzie said...
on Feb. 8 2014 at 7:17 pm
I had never heard of ET before, I think that this is a great article and ought to be published, many people do not know about this kind of thing.

on Apr. 28 2013 at 5:49 pm
MissLizzieGirl GOLD, Arvada, Colorado
Thankyou, I know the intro is everything.

on Apr. 28 2013 at 5:48 pm
MissLizzieGirl GOLD, Arvada, Colorado
Yeah. I have an awareness bracelet that saying ET on it so it sparks a lot of alien conversations

on Apr. 28 2013 at 5:47 pm
MissLizzieGirl GOLD, Arvada, Colorado
Thankyou! Tevyrae

on Apr. 20 2013 at 9:52 pm
TevyRae PLATINUM, Pittsfield, Pennsylvania

"Here is a small fact: You are going to die." ~The Book Thief
"You have no stupidity inside of your adorable little self." ~Mikey Pasterik

Great job! you wrote about something you are passionet about, and because of that it turned out great. keep up the work! I look forward to reading more. :D 

on Apr. 20 2013 at 7:12 pm
MissLizzieGirl GOLD, Arvada, Colorado
Thankyou! This is a topic that means much to me.

on Apr. 20 2013 at 11:00 am
beccalynn1663 GOLD, West Milford, New Jersey

Let your smile change the world. Don't let the world change your smile.

you did a great job, and the title works perfectly:)

swat17 SILVER said...
on Apr. 19 2013 at 11:46 pm
swat17 SILVER, Mineral, Virginia
This is a great piece! Your introduction really draws in the reader. Keep up the good work :)

on Apr. 19 2013 at 10:40 pm
Under-the-Rain GOLD, Chicago, Illinois

Are you ready to go to battle with your mind?- Written by me :)
Lost the battle, win the war//Bringing my sinking ship back to the shore- Paramore, Now

I love the title and the quality your work, it's the type where it is easy to read, yet there is so much information packed into those words, keep up the good work. :)