A Healthier Replacement | Teen Ink

A Healthier Replacement

By eunice_ykim SILVER, Ridgefield, New Jersey
eunice_ykim SILVER, Ridgefield, New Jersey

Say goodbye to the mundane flavors of calorie-dense ice cream and say hello to the tangy, fruity flavors of frozen yogurt! With its pay-by-the-ounce convenience and self-serve concept, frozen yogurt has instantly become a 2 billion dollar industry. With its skyrocketed popularity, and locations popping up everywhere on the map, frozen yogurt has now even become a flavor for big companies such as Häagen-Daz, Cold Stone Creamery, Ben& Jerry’s and Turkey Hill. Providing smooth creamy goodness in every spoonful but also enriched with significant health benefits, frozen yogurt seems too good to be true! People everywhere are loving the concept of picking and choosing your flavors/toppings anyway you want and so should you!
Flavors

Though flavors vary depending on location/ season/availability, all frozen yogurt stores guarantee delicious flavors that will undoubtedly satisfy your sweet tooth. Whether you’re more into original flavors such as vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, or exotic flavors such as red velvet, birthday cake and peanut butter, there’s bound to be a flavor for anybody. While small nearby businesses, such as Red Spoon, offer delicious fruity flavors, whenever you are in the area don’t miss out on a life changing trip to franchise stores such as 16 Handles and Let’s YO! Located inside the Garden State Plaza, right across from the California Pizza Kitchen, is the almighty 16 Handles. With regularly changing flavors, in addition to its staple non-fat and low-fat options, a visit to 16 Handles is never a bore.

(below is a list of possible flavor options)
Original Flavors: Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry, Pomegranate, Blueberry, Peach, Mango
Seasonal Flavors: Pumpkin, Birthday Cake, Peppermint, Apple Pie, Irish Cream
Extra Flavors: Birthday Cake, Toffee, Peanut Butter, Red Velvet, Caramel, Green Tea, Cheesecake
Toppings
From choosing the size of your cup, to the flavors that go in it, personalizing your ice cream has never been so tasty! Due to the unlimited amount of options you are given, every trip to the frozen yogurt store guarantees you a new, exciting experience. Though flavor options are bound to differ according to store size, all stores selling frozen yogurt provide an assorted array of toppings to compliment your already delicious treat.

(below are a list of possible toppings)
Fruit (berries, banana, kiwi, pineapple, cherry, orange, pomegranate), Crushed Oreos, Granola clusters, Almonds, Brownie Bits, Pretzels, Gummy bear/worms, Cereal Pieces (Lucky Charms, Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Puffs), Graham Crackers, Cookie Dough, Jelly Beans
Syrups: Nutella, Caramel, Fudge, Whipped Cream
Health
Though frozen yogurt doesn’t contain all the benefits plain yogurt has, it still shares the digestive benefits of probiotics, which aids us in maintaining stable cholesterol levels and fills us with essential minerals. So get in on the fro-yo craze! With its tangy, fruity goodness, a serving of frozen yogurt is an excellent replacement for a scoop of high carbohydrate, low protein ice cream. However, notice the key word, replacement. Although yogurt is naturally low in fat and fewer in calories, and the fruit in frozen yogurt add nutrients and vitamins, watch your portions and topping selections. Just remember, it is still relatively high in sugar and should be considered a treat!

Make the move from fat-filled ice cream to a healthier alternative; frozen yogurt! Learn about the health benefits about this delicious treat.