Your Guide To Videos | Teen Ink

Your Guide To Videos MAG

If you have ever gone to the exercise section of a video store, you know how confusing it can be. It seems as though everybody has a video these days. So I decided to write this guide for those who are clueless about exercise videos.

If you want a great all-around workout, I recommend Daisy Fuentes's, "Totally Fit Workout." This is perfect for the beginning to intermediate level. This video provides aerobics, toning, and ends with a nutrition segment.

For those of you who just want to concentrate on burning fat, Kathy Smith's "Functionally Fit: Peak Fat Burning" is what you need. Kathy leads a fun forty-minute aerobic workout that burns calories and shapes the lower body.

Want an efficient workout that gobbles calories and tones muscles? Then, on to cross-training. You will do an aerobic segment followed by toning, then return to aerobics and so on. Two of my favorite cross-training videos are: "Your Personal Best" with Elle MacPherson and Kathy Ireland's "Advanced Sports Fitness." Both are challenging hour-long videos that will leave you sore for days.

If you're looking to tone those problem areas, then I suggest "Target & Tone." Kathy Kaehler leads this video that isolates and tones problem areas.

Maybe all you want is washboard abs. In that case Claudia Schiffer's "Perfectly Fit Abs" is the perfect solution. It is forty grueling minutes of every ab exercise you could imagine.

All these videos are available for twenty dollars or less. If you do not want to spend that much money, I suggest buying a blank tape and recording some of the many exercise shows that are on in the morning. Two of my favorite TV workouts are ESPN 2's "Crunch Fitness" and "Denise Austin's Daily Workout" on Lifetime. Check local listings for times.

No matter what type of exercise you prefer, the most important thing to remember is to be consistent. To maintain your current fitness level you need to do at least three days of twenty-minute cardiovascular exercise. To lose weight or improve your fitness level, you need to do five to seven days of cardiovascular exercise. Also try to squeeze in at least two days of muscle training. The more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn. Get moving! t