Meditation | Teen Ink

Meditation MAG

Recently, I have been experimenting with mind-calming exercises. Through books and television, meditation has been recommended many times but I never took it seriously. Quite frankly, I didn’t have time to close my eyes and relax, but then I made time.

The exercises were not long, two to five minutes, tops. On my first attempt at “expanding,” as my psychology book called it, I was moderately successful. I laid flat on the floor and envisioned good energy flowing into me with every breath in and bad energy - stress - flowing out with every exhalation. The mind/matter collaboration proved difficult and I had a hard time keeping hold of the energy image but when my two minutes were up, I did feel unusually peaceful, as if I had just awoken from a nice dream.

My most pleasant meditation experience took place outdoors as I listened to the sounds of nature and watched tree branches sway in the wind. So much was happening. The scene was a show of colors, textures, and light. I was reminded of everything that goes on in nature without us noticing. How small our troubles are compared with the world. I became the world for a moment, as I stuck my feet under a trickle of warm water. For two minutes, it became the focal point of my existence. Like a massage, it soothed away all worrisome thoughts. The warmth and pleasure left me swimming in calmness.

A steady rhythm is the only way to keep up a hiking exercise. While it does not bring instant satisfaction, a non-strenuous hike can still the mind and bring about awareness of the physical world. It was hard not to think as I walked. The key was in getting into the mechanical process of walking, one step after another. In my experience, I began to feel the ground beneath my feet, and it was a pleasurable sensation.

Meditation gave me unexpected perspective. I realized that we get so caught up in our daily lives that we miss out on moments as they happen. Take a few minutes out of your day to observe the world around you. It may instill temporary peace of mind, and a greater appreciation for nature.

i love this so much!

Bethani GOLD said...
on Mar. 23 2010 at 11:06 pm
Bethani GOLD, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Life is perfect until you sit back and realize how boring it is without risks.

I completely agree! Please check out my work at annoymous, highlands ranch, colorado on teenink. some of my work is explosion, high on love, guardian angels, and don ambler's granddaughter. please comment and rate! thank you!