Dyslexia | Teen Ink

Dyslexia MAG

By Anonymous

     Hav ingdys lexiac anmake it hardtoread! According to KidsHealth, writing that looks just fine to you might look like this to someone who has dyslexia:

Thew ord sare n otsp aced cor rect ly.

We spell wrds xatle az tha snd to us.

Sometimesallthelettersarepushedtogether.

I am dyslexic. This has significantly affected my life. I had to go to tutoring after a full school day. The tutoring was 35 minutes from my house, which to me was a long way. I feel that schools should provide these special services during school hours.

Imagine being so embarrassed that you go home the night before you have to read out loud in class and ask your mother to read the section to you over and over until you have it memorized so the other kids will not make fun of you. Or imagine having to stop in the middle of reading to the class to ask your teacher what a word is and the teacher says, “You’re in sixth grade. You don’t know what that word is?” This sort of humiliation and embarrassment is what dyslexics go through every day of their lives. Out of 100 students who have dyslexia, 94 of them said they feel embarrassed more than once every school day.

Some people say these students shouldn’t get more attention than others. The latest study shows that in the U.S., students with dyslexia performed at a lower rate in daily academic activities - as much as 30 to 40 percent lower. This means that these students have to work three or four times harder than others to understand the same material.

I believe that there should be more effort to inform the public about this humiliating disability. I don’t want other students to experience what I did as a child with dyslexia. Awareness is the first step to understanding the fate of the 8 percent of students who have dyslexia.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 15 comments.


i love this so much!

on Jul. 30 2013 at 2:31 am
Do you know that it is high time to get the loans, which will make you dreams real.

gleek1234 GOLD said...
on Jul. 7 2011 at 6:50 pm
gleek1234 GOLD, Burlington, Vermont
17 articles 0 photos 130 comments

Favorite Quote:
You did let me go you left me broken and heartless, crying out for help, with no one to answer my calls-Shilpa Pierpont-Hale ( poem) Love hurts

I know some one who has dyslexia and when she brings Her iPod to school to Liston to a book the guys makenfun of her or say something like have dyslexia to can i Liston to my iPod? But yeah that part in the article that says the teacher was being mean wow that's stupid no teacher should be allowed to say that!! Good work

on Apr. 10 2011 at 7:10 pm
Untouchable-Summer SILVER, Cranford, New Jersey
6 articles 0 photos 86 comments

Favorite Quote:
Even the best fall down sometimes

my friend has dyslexia, and you are completely correct with everything you said. I agree, schools should provide programs for these students! It's not their fault!

MetallixRose said...
on Feb. 25 2011 at 1:05 pm
I myself am not dyslexic, but one of my younger cousins is. I'm glad that you helped me see what goes on in her world.

RLL507 BRONZE said...
on Oct. 28 2010 at 1:39 pm
RLL507 BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
3 articles 0 photos 4 comments
I know how you feel. I am dyslexic also. I go day by day feeling embarrassed when I do not know a word my teacher says. When I have to read out loud in class and I mess up on a word, I hear people laughing. Which makes me want to cry. It is not my fault I was born with this disability. As I have grown older, I find that my dyslexic gets better. When I was in 1st grade, I struggled with dyslexia. I felt that if I told people that they would feel sad for me. I have gone fifteen years trying my best in school and not letting this bother me. Now I am finally not embarrassed to say that I have dyslexia.

on Oct. 6 2010 at 6:27 pm
Inattentive-ADD, Des Allemands, Louisiana
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? - Albert Einstein

"Can you please read to me what you wrote?"
"... sorry .... no"

"You need to take your time when you write and work hard on your spelling''

"I do, but my hand hurts and I keep messing up and my words don't always get onto the page like the way they sound in my head and my hand hurts really badly"

Dysgraphia: Dyslexia in the hands

Plus ADD: Attention Defict Disorder

Your actial is really neat, great job 


Lexi-pex GOLD said...
on Jun. 9 2010 at 2:48 pm
Lexi-pex GOLD, Billingham, Other
13 articles 0 photos 75 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
- Eleanor Roosevelt

i really like this article. at the begining you relaly made the reader feel what it was like to be dyslexic. to know how hard it is. to empathise. i like the way you wrote this article, so please keep writing. well done! : )

none said...
on May. 5 2010 at 6:41 pm
wow cool article

ted bear said...
on May. 4 2010 at 11:39 am

i am dyslexic so i know what it feels like, getting the answer wrong coz they moved place, or not seeing the word spelled wrong. i have more than once brought to tears by  the hurtfull comments that some say about dyslexic, like they are stupid or lazy. i usaully have to work hard and longer hours to get the same grades as others. i may not be gd at spelling or math (thank god for calculators and spell check) but i am good at art, computer studies and i think out of the box.

i am proud to be a dyslexic, hear me roar :D

everyone has bad days and the only remedy is to play some music, eat ice cream, read and then your back to tackle the problem again with it out of your system


bjbunny said...
on May. 4 2010 at 7:41 am
thank you for writing this! it really reminds people that making fun of someone with a disability thats not their fault is just plain wrong. nobody should have to be embarrased over something like this. just imagine if you had a problem like that before you start to snicker at someone pronouncing that like hat or tat. I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates you writing this and telling ppl who don't have the problem more about it so they can sympathize with those who do instead of gossip about them. thx again;)

on Apr. 1 2010 at 12:12 pm
Starrlyt PLATINUM, Willard, North Carolina
20 articles 0 photos 89 comments

Favorite Quote:
Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars -Les Brown

I agree with Nessa.  I love how you portrayed the first few sentences as a dyslexic person would see it.  My dad and my stepbrother have dyslexia so I know what you mean.  Fortunately I don't.  I learned how to read and write at the age of 2 1/2.  But I do have a lot of family and friends with dyslexia.  Keep writing, and inform the rest of the world what struggles you go through. Good job!!!

on Mar. 10 2010 at 9:04 pm
BasketballChick5, San Diego, California
0 articles 1 photo 114 comments

Favorite Quote:
:)Just Do It:) <3

I like this artical!!!! I am glad you wrote it! it shows the facts about what go's on in your life and what happens!!! keep writing. you rock lol:):):):):) i wish people would relize on what goes on now days!

on Mar. 10 2010 at 12:24 pm
The_Fourth_Black_Sister GOLD, Verona, New York
10 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
-Robert Frost

I really liked this article. My brother has dyslexia, and he stuggles as well with school. Keep writing, and I hope your effort to spread awareness about dyslexia continues to grow and flourish.

Nessa said...
on Dec. 28 2008 at 6:34 pm
This was very good! i love how you wrote the first few sentences as a dyslexic person would see it, that was very creative and it gave me an idea of the stuggle you go threw every day keep writing!!!!!

-Nessa