Childhood Obesity | Teen Ink

Childhood Obesity

March 11, 2012
By madelynclaire SILVER, Covington, LA, Louisiana
madelynclaire SILVER, Covington, LA, Louisiana
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A life without risk, is a life unlived my friend."


The percentage of children 6–11 years old in the United States who were obese increased from 7% to nearly 20% from 1980 to 2008. Childhood obesity is a disorder where a child has too much unnecessary fat. It is sad that this is called a disorder or a disease because of the type of society we live in today. Many children who are overweight suffer from medical to self esteem issues. Some even suffer from psychological effects. There are so many ways for kids to prevent becoming obese and should do them.

You are considered obese if your weight is 20% or more above the normal weight for your age. One cause that doctors associate with childhood obesity is neglectful parents. Parents that are considered neglectful either feed their child food with too much carbs, sugar, and fat or don't encourage enough physical activity to burn it off. Another cause is the television because it takes place of fun activities that could be done outside, like biking, playing sports, or swimming. Watching the tv can also cause unnecessary and constant snacking. I see this trait in my brother a lot but he plays outside most of the time which burns calories. And one last cause of obesity in children is fast food restaurants which are widely advertised, especially on children's tv networks, which links two of the causes.

There are many health problems that come along with being obese that can turn out to be very serious. Children that are obese are at risk for cardiovascular diseases like high blood pressure or high cholesterol. 70% of obese youth were at risk for cardiovascular disease. Diabetes can also occur. Type 2 diabetes is the most common because it is caused by poor diet. Type 2 can usually be reversed with healthy eating and exercise. Asthma can also become a problem as a child's weight can interfere with the growth of the lungs. A long term effect of childhood obesity is that it can last into adulthood. Heart attacks and strokes can also become a risk if nothing was done to reverse the obesity. Health problems are a big concern, but a bigger concern comes with the psychological effects.

Low self esteem in children today is extremely high; especially with the pressure of today's society. Obese children suffer from low self esteem, depression, and loneliness. These children are introduced to discrimination at a young age. Some studies showed that psychosocial consequences were more important to the children than the health effects. Obese children are still trying to discover who they are and all of the bullying and name calling that takes place can have a big impact on the way they feel about themselves.

There are many ways to prevent a child from becoming obese, like healthy eating and physical activity. Parents should provide their family with healthy food options and limit the amount of sugary foods. If children only eat sweets every now and then, it truly will be a treat. Children and teens should participate in physical activities for at least 60 minutes a day. Schools also play a big part in preventing childhood obesity. Schools can provide healthy meals for lunch that provide nutrition education that encourages a healthy lifestyle. So, to stay healthy, start a healthy lifestyle and get active!