The Fairest This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Mirror, mirror on the wall
Make her skinny, make her tall
Change the way she does her hair
Dye it blonde
Put highlights there

Mirror, mirror, take her youth
Wrap it in some made-up truth
Hide her face behind a mask
Of paint and powder, then
Conceal her spirit in a plaster cast

Mirror, mirror, steal her style
Plot and scheme, lie and beguile
Tell her what “true beauty” is
Define her worth
By what Cosmo says

Mirror, mirror, watch her stand
On the scale with pill in hand
Watch her curb her appetite
Then watch her lie and say,
“Can't eat another bite!”

Mirror, mirror, slice her up
Tell her she's not good enough
Change her nose, change her smile
But do not mention that
Beauty fades after a short while

Mirror, mirror, do you see this girl?
Torn to pieces by the world?
Stretched and squeezed into a mold
She'll never fit into
Despite what she's been told

Mirror, mirror on the wall
Who's the fairest one of all?
Look at those whose beauty has passed
And tell them the truth;
That inner beauty is what really lasts

beautifulspirit This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Way to go!! Has a message about self image and the way the mainstream and its trends affects people. The inner beauty is truly what matters.

-MidnightAngel- replied...
Feb. 15, 2012 at 11:37 pm :
This is amazing! It's so perfect. I make movies out of poems and put them on you.tube, can I use yours?

Onyxrose said...
I saw this in the magazine in my english class the other day, I was absolutely in love with it!! Miraculous job!!!

SonRisAThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 12, 2011 at 11:21 am:
wow i cant say much because the poem really speaks for its self.Outstanding job :)

Only,I This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 21, 2011 at 1:30 am:
This is amaizng. It's honest and true and to the point. Very very good.

soccerchic38 said...
Feb. 18, 2011 at 9:53 pm:
I loved this peice.  The truth behind this message was so heartbreakingly real that it was impossible for the impact not to hit the reader.  I especially loved the Mirror, Mirror theme.  Very well written and I'll be watching out for more of your writing.  ;0)

PepperHalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 14, 2011 at 9:52 pm:
wow you really hit the point in how we feel about ourselves. thank you for writing something so eye opening and beautiful in so so many ways! you are a blessed writer :)

Josepha.Louise This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 13, 2011 at 9:44 am:

This poem is so applicable to any teenage girl's life. We all feel the pressures to conform, and it is a daily struggle that many, including myself, partake in. I cut this article out of the magazine and stuck it on my bulletin board next to my mirror to remind myself that I am not alone, and that there are things more important than outer beauty.

You did an exceptional job. Keep it up!

Cuore said...
Awesome! This is so good and so true.

OliviaEllisonStewart This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
thank you! i wasn't sure and i didn't know if i should steal one from the school? lol. i'll just wait in that case. 

soaringbug This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I just read this in the mag, and it's really really awesome. ♥ I showed it to my sister and friends, and we all think it's the best. xD

OliviaEllisonStewart This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 11, 2010 at 7:04 pm :
thanks! :) do you know, do you usually get a copy of the mag if you get work into the mag? I don't have a subscription but i really want a copy. 

soaringbug This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 11, 2010 at 8:23 pm :
yeah, the copy's coming. i just got mine published in  the same issue, so that's how i know. (:

gloriasinferno37 said...
your really good!! can you read my poem? Its on the first page of the writers workshop under poetry and lyrics, its called 'time still going'

Ariveria This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is really, really great. I think sometimes your rhythm might need a bit of work, but it's an amazing poem that you should definitely be proud of! :)

Nov. 30, 2010 at 6:35 pm :
i had a hard time finding words to rhyme! i'm not really into rhyming, i like free verse because its more simple but you can't really make "mirror mirror on the wall..." a free verse. it has to rhyme! appreciate the advice though!

SpringRayynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This poem really strikes me. I love it. It has sooo much meaning to me, thank you for writing it!

Nov. 30, 2010 at 6:33 pm :
thanks for reading!

ShankssYuLater said...
Nov. 23, 2010 at 8:48 am:
This is so beautiful, and has such meaning...I love it.

Nov. 23, 2010 at 7:09 pm :
thank you! sometimes i just hit spurts of creative idea and that was just one of those times. :)