Cystic Fibrosis This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Slipping away without a purpose,
My name no one will ever know.
Before the ground turns frozen again I will have breathed my last breath.
My body will have matched the temperature of the frosty air.

Those suffering with cystic fibrosis also
Have begun to pull out their bucket lists,
Leaving this world in bitter sorrow, realizing on their deathbed all that they have missed.

Such a young age to give up hope,
But oh does our future look bleak,
Surrounded by oxygen masks and endless transplants,
Doing all that we can not to fall off the face of the earth.

An ocean of a disease, toying constantly with our health and emotions,
Trying to hold in our bitterness as others continue to breathe with ease,
Putting fake smiles on our faces as we try to swim up for air,
We break above the surface and then
finally disappear.

riley1516 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Thank you so much! All of your comments and positive feedback really means a lot! 

NicoleS This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
that was a beautiful poem. i dont have cf, but it runs in my family and i lost 2 uncles to it and my aunt is currently living with it...i watch her firsthand, how it not only affects her respiratory health, but every aspect of her health as well. stay strong, & keep your head up! you have an amazing talent to pour your emotions into, so keep writing and never forget that!

riley1516 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Im sorry to hear that it runs in your family.. its such a terrible disease.  I appreciate your comment also!

paigeforeman This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow, that almost made me cry. I love the last line, it's harrowing. Keep writing because you, m'dear, have talent!

C_B_Mia said...
My friend has CF. It has always made me feel unfairly lucky. Yet, there are so many improvements with medicine that I hope we can find a quick, painless cure. 

SignGirl said...

That was a beautiful poem! =D

It also almost made me cry.

thank you so much!

f1ndmycure2013 said...
have CF as well and I can totally relate to this article. Reading it made me start to cry. Great job...

Thank you! that means alot. sorry i wasn't trying to be a complete downer... I just have a lot of emotions toward cf.  best of luck to you!  I hope there will someday be a cure

f1ndmycure2013 replied...
You're welcome! Don't apologize for writing from the heart, that's one of the things that makes a story good and gives it great emotional kick. I wrote a poem about CF too, it's one of my longer poems, but all my friends say it's my best. Also, don't worry about the poem being a downer, we all have our tough times. Thanks for the luck, and I wish you the best of luck too. :)

You should post your poem on here. Id love to read it. & thanks