it's not supposed to be like this | Teen Ink

it's not supposed to be like this

April 19, 2010
By spazziod BRONZE, Wyoming, Michigan
spazziod BRONZE, Wyoming, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 13 comments

It was just a while back that a really close family friend got diagnosed with cancer. That day was emotional for everyone who loved him, including me. He was mostly my parent’s friend, but I never realized how much I cared for him until I found out that he might die. I have been pondering the thought of him not being here in the future but I guess I never really could hold on to the fact. It is going to be a lot harder now, because we found out that his life line might but cut shorter than we thought it was.

A few weeks ago my parents and I went to dinner with our family friend and his wife, and that was the night that I realized that Mr.Madden (our close family friend) would probably not be here around Christmas time. The doctors told him that his cancer was getting worse and the Chemotherapy that he was on wasn’t working as well as it was supposed to and that he would be lucky to be alive by Christmas. Well luck is what we need the most right now, it has been over three years since he had been diagnosed with cancer and he had survived those years with the help of family and friends. Now he needs our help more than ever and it feels like there is nothing I can do but hope and pray that he makes it through this. I have always been the person who helps my friends with their problems as much as I can, but this problem there is nothing I can do but sit and watch him suffer and eventually die.

I saw him Sunday, at the relay for life bowling event to raise money for him, and he looked like he was just skin and bone, it scared me that someone I cared about so much looked like this, and like I said before there is really nothing I can do but hope and pray that he is still alive the tomorrow. When I was bowling all I could think about is why did this happen to me, his family and his friends. Everyone is worried about him, they won’t really show it much, but you can tell deep down that everyone he knows feels like there has to be something more we can do, but in reality there isn’t much we can do. People have tried helping by looking for a better treatment center for their family and friends, but sometimes the treatment doesn’t help as much as it should or even makes it worse. I don’t want anything to happen to him if he tries a new treatment and it makes it worse than he already is.

I’m scared, I have lost people close to me over the years, but I wasn’t as close to all of them as I am to him, he has done so many things with my family and we have with his, my sister went to school with his, that’s how our families first met, and after that we have been friends. I don’t know what I will do if I lose someone close to me, I know everyone can’t live forever, but he was doing so well, it even looked like he was getting better and beaten the cancer, but something happened and now everyone is scared.

Now, every night before I go to bed, I ask god to give everyone more time with him, I haven’t asked for much from god, but this means a lot to me, and so far he has answered them, he is still here. God can only give us so much time with him; it’s up to the cancer treatment center he is going to do to do the rest. It is also up to him to not to give up hope, I never have and never will, with every day that passes I never stop thinking about him, I hope that his family and friends do the same and never give up hope.

The author's comments:
i just needed to vent about this. my good family friend is practically dying and i can only hope that he is here for another year or two.