Anorexia, the Unexpected Killer | Teen Ink

Anorexia, the Unexpected Killer

February 23, 2010
By JKars32195 BRONZE, New York, Ny, New York
JKars32195 BRONZE, New York, Ny, New York
4 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Today, in society, there are certain expectations of how people should look. Many teenagers are influenced by what they see around them. In magazines, they show celebrities who are very skinny and are seen as “normal” when they are much skinnier than they should be. Seeing this all around, many teenagers feel the pressure to be socially accepted and they think this will happen if they are skinny. Having low self-confidence because of weight and personal appearances can cause many problems, the most severe are eating disorders and the most known is anorexia. Anorexia Nervosa is one of the most dangerous and commonly used ways to “lose weight”. While people who deprive themselves of food that are high is fat, and depriving themselves of food at all think that they are helping themselves, when really, they are damaging their bodies. Anorexia starts with limiting your diet to foods that are low in fat and than it escalates to not eating at all. By not eating, your body is not getting energy from the intake of food that it should be getting so it starts eating your own body. Anorexia is not something to take lightly. If you notice and family member or even a friend is not eating, bring it up to them immediately and tell them what they need to hear to eat. Anorexia is one of the most dangerous and unexpected killers of people everywhere. To prevent this from happening, people should realize that the way people look is magazines is not the way most people look and that by starving yourself, you are doing way more damage to yourself than eating.