Clutter | Teen Ink

Clutter

By Melissa Dalis BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia
Melissa Dalis BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia

“500-meter freestyle swimmers, up on the blocks.” My heart pumped relentlessly as I heard my teammates’ and family’s cheers in the stands. “Ready positions.” I gazed into the depths of the water and blocked out all surrounding noise. “Go!”

“Melissa? Melissa? Melissa!! What is the quadratic formula? How many times do I have to ask you?”
“Negative b plus or minus the square root of b squared minus for ac…”

I have always been a math whiz; my brain is a calculator. Numbers fly through my mind before they are converted into words. I couldn’t help but wonder how much more successful I would be in school if I could pay attention in class for more than five minutes. After years of frustration, I finally asked my parents if I could get tested for ADD, and my mom responded, “ADD is a made-up disease, Melissa; it’s just because you don’t eat well.”

My mom finally took me to get tested for ADD. The doctor presented me with my percentiles of “intelligence”: 99% math, 99% logic, 99% writing, and 11% reading rate. I had seen these results on most of my standardized testing, but this test confirmed that I did, indeed, have both ADD and ADHD.

After taking Concerta, my grades skyrocketed from mostly B’s to straight A’s. I had always assumed that I would never break 30 on my ACT because of my reading scores, but, with my new medicine, I could finally concentrate for the whole passages and scored a 35!

I refuse to attribute my success to Concerta. I’m not smart because of the medicine; the medicine just equalizes the playing field. Now able to focus more efficiently during class, I no longer need to study seven hours for a test to teach myself a whole month’s worth of material. While my grades and test scores have improved within the last few months, I realize that my intelligence has been constant. I just needed a little more focus and confidence. Now I’m ready – bring it on!

BriarRose PLATINUM, Seneca, Illinois

I don't need a rose. I want a daisy you picked for my hair. I don't want some fancy box of chocolate. I want a pink frosting cookie you made just for me. Lets skip the upscale restaraunt and have a picnic in the park.

hey Melissa

i am ADD and until i was medicated i was a C and D student

i agree with you; i am intelligent because i am. Not because of my meds

Mandiella DIAMOND, Plaistow, New Hampshire

Don't waste time. Start procrastinating now.

Great story. It's so good that you have been able to overcome your difficulties and succeed.