Health and Obesity | Teen Ink

Health and Obesity

By zach88_88 BRONZE, Lee's Summit, Missouri
zach88_88 BRONZE, Lee's Summit, Missouri

If you didn't already know, obesity is a big problem in the U.S. It's a fact that obesity has nearly TRIPLED since 1975. In 2016 more than 1.9 billion adults 18 years or older, were overweight. Aged 15 and over, America is one of the most overweight countries in the world. 38.2% of the world’s obesity is from the U.S. This all starts from school lunches and what adults buy for kids at home. There is so much unhealthy food that people don't pay attention to what their putting in their mouth. One serving of cinnamon toast crunch in the morning is 9 grams of sugar. Lots of people have 3 serving which is 27 grams of sugar in the morning. Lots of cereals are a lot worse than this. This is just an example of some unhealthy food choices. I feel like health and obesity is a big problem in the U.S. In 1980 type to diabetes was super rare in 2010. In 2010 57,638 teens had type to 2 diabetes.  Scientist inferred that in 20 years 95% of the world will be obese. We need to put a stop to this. Here are some reasons why and where it starts.

School Lunches

Health is very important and a big part of it is what you eat. School lunches need to improve over the world. They should include more fruits and vegetables. They should give low fat milk instead of high sugar fruit drinks.People think if it has the word fruit in the name then it’s healthy but they are high on sugar. I also think they should include less fats and salts. Too much salt can stiffen blood vessels which could cause heart attack or stroke.In the lunchroom people have a tray full of snacks. This is one of the reasons obesity is big on America.

Fast Food

The places people eat at are big reasons of obesity. There some people who eat McDonalds and Wendy’s every day and that is really bad for your health. Sonic is probably one of the most unhealthy fast food places. About 50% of Sonic's menu items contain at least one gram of saturated fat. That is one of the unhealthy fats and it causes lots of diseases like heart disease and stroke. Now another think about fast food is how much calories they have. 10 of Sonic’s hamburgers have more than 1,100 calories. That's more  than half a average women should have a day. This is just one fast food restaurant just imagine all the others. This should inform you how unhealthy it could be.

How to Stay Healthy

These are some of the many reasons obesity starts and continues. Now we should try to stop this, but how? There's no possible way to make all unhealthy foods disappear, there's no possible way to make everyone healthy, but something we can do is not only keep yourself healthy but we can make a change. Here are some ways to be physically and mentally healthy. First, you need to exercise. Not everyone enjoys exercise but you can find a way to enjoy it. You could listen to music and run, walk your dog outside, yoga, workout videos, or go swimming. Second, don’t diet. Your probably confused about this. The truth is fit people make eating healthy apart of their everyday life. Not saying you can’t have a yummy dessert or drink every once in awhile but you should make good food choices. Lastly, you should get good sleep. This doesn't help obesity but it helps you mentally.

Healthy Foods

Lots of people don’t like eating fruits and vegetables but they like healthy smoothies. Strawberry smoothie has the same nutrition as strawberries by themself but smoothies taste better. I'm not talking about the ones you get at McDonalds which contain lots of sugar but the ones you can make it home. They are very easy to make, they don't need a lot of ingredients, and they are healthy for you. One time I was hungry and looking for something to eat, I opened the freezer and found a bag of frozen fruits that had black raspberry, raspberries, and strawberries. I put that in the blender along with a banana, ½ a  cup of yogurt, and ¼ a cup of milk. I blended it up and took a sip and it tasted really good. This is a smoothie other people could make too I thought. That's when I got the idea to make other smoothie ideas.If you can think of something that can make a change, you should go for it.

I wrote this to inform anyone reading this on how bad obesity had become. If you're reading this you should think about what you eat. You should think about having healthy foods. Tell your parents that you want to be more healthy. Tell your friends. We need to stop how bad this has become and it starts with you.

I want people to know how important this is and how bad it's getting. I hope this will persuade people to make healthier food choices.