Top Voted Environment Articles

Here are the top voted environment articles:

voted
#1
Animal Cruelty Must Stop This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Every day in the United States animals are beaten, neglected, or forced to struggle for survival. Left in unsanitary conditions with no food or water, they have little hope as they live out their days without the compassion they deserve. Some are... (more »)
165 comments
voted
#2
A World in Danger This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Since middle school, I have found that the study of the environment reflects a part of my personality. It all began with a National Geographic ­article about the Chesapeake Bay watershed. Although I live nowhere near, I found the story... (more »)
45 comments
voted
#3
Bicycle Commuting This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I may not be a movie star, best-selling author, or billionaire when I grow up, but one thing I will be known for, at least locally, is commuting by bicycle. It's sad to see how few people do – even though many could. Lots of people recycle and... (more »)
voted
#4
Soul Food This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Next time you’re outside, look around. Look left, right, across the street, under your toes. What do you see? If your neighborhood is like mine, you’re probably surrounded by green lawns, perhaps a row of flowers or a bush. Now, think of... (more »)
12 comments
voted
#5
A Better Alternative? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Everyone can agree that we have an enormous problem on our hands: the environment’s rapidly deteriorating health. Ozone depletion, desertification, and deforestation are only a few problems on an ever-growing list that threatens to destroy our... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#6
The Green Invasion This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Green fashions, green brands, green makeup, green lifestyles. Green is the new pink in the world today. Going green has taken our ailing planet by storm, changing the everyday lives of its citizens. An immeasurable amount of the population is... (more »)
16 comments
voted
#7
Bee Trouble This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
As each spring passes, fewer and fewer bees are making their debut, buzzing from flower to flower adding that extra detail that makes springtime complete. Their absence might have picnickers celebrating, but it has scientists scratching their... (more »)
6 comments
voted
#8
On Our Shoulders Now This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The other day as I searched for a place to dispose of my plastic water bottle, I noticed something strange at my friend’s house: there was no recycling bin. That’s funny, I thought. Maybe it’s just in a different part of the house. I asked... (more »)
4 comments
voted
#9
Torrential Exhilaration This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I have never been able to decide what it is that I love so much about rainstorms. When I try to sort it out in my mind, several possibilities present themselves. Maybe it’s the earth-shaking power of the thunder vibrating through every cell of... (more »)
4 comments
voted
#10
Deep Time This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
This is a true story. It’s a late winter day in Plano, Texas. A high school geology class is walking along a drainage ditch near school. As the teacher points to the white limestone rock and lectures, the students are shivering and muttering... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#11
Attaining Energy Independence This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The United States is considering strategies for greater independence from coal and oil, but the fact is, we aren’t doing enough. The only way to decrease rising global temperatures and ­become less dependent on fossil fuels is to adopt a... (more »)
4 comments
voted
#12
The Trees This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I remember a winter afternoon in Southern California. The kind of day when sunlight settles on wooden floorboards like a hard yellow frost. The happy, constant drone of drills and saws filled the air with slivers of other days, older construction... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#13
Meat: An Environment Killer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
We’ve all seen our share of scientists in white coats, explaining what global warming is, why it’s dangerous, and what we can do to stop it. We encounter protests against fossil fuels and auto emissions. But the one industry that produces more... (more »)
240 comments
voted
#14
The Gardening Womb This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I think I know why early man moved from hunter-gatherer to farmer. A certain mystique exists in plowing up the ancient womb of the earth, fertilizing it, and planting seeds. As I consider this, I am holding the rich, hot cow manure I just... (more »)
voted
#15
Be Hydro-Smart! This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
When you turn on the tap, it runs; when you step into the shower, you get wet; when you use the toilet, it flushes; when you need ice, it tumbles from the refrigerator. But have you ever stopped to wonder where this water comes from? Today,... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#16
The Polar Bear Question This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
You're a foot away from a wild polar bear. Your heart pounds; you see your breath mingling with the white breath of the great animal just inches away. The mighty beast has the power to end your life with a swipe of its paw, and yet, it seems so... (more »)
7 comments