Development in Wilderness Areas of Alaska | Teen Ink

Development in Wilderness Areas of Alaska

By Maiwenn.J GOLD, Tirana, Other
Maiwenn.J GOLD, Tirana, Other

Beautiful natural places have been discovered on earth. Beautiful and unique species have been discovered too. These places and organisms are becoming more and more rare to find. Some of these natural places have been destroyed by humans. If we continue to destroy these few natural beautiful places that are home to many organisms, there will be no more left. Opening development in the wilderness areas of Alaska is not a good idea. My reasons for disagreeing with the development of Alaska's protected areas are because it will destroy habitats, potentially lead to extinction of certain species causing the destruction of the food chain. Additionally, the development of the area will pollute the air and water contributing to climate change.
Alaska is reputed to be America’s last great wilderness. If we open Alaska to development, these protected natural habitats to organisms will be gone. If we destroy these places, animals won’t have a place to live, thus without a proper habitat, they will have a hard time finding food, and living properly.  In past experience, specifically 29 years ago, there was a disastrous oil spill near Alaska's coastlines. The Exxon Valdez ship crashed into the Prince William Sound's bligh reef, and spilled over 10.8 million gallons of oil in the sea which affected 1300 miles of coastline. Approximately 250,000 sea birds, 2800 sea otter, 300 harbor seals, 250 bald eagles, 22 killer whales, billions of salmon and herring eggs died from the oil spill (Rivera, Michelle A.). Even though the Exxon Valdez company helped clean up the damage, there is still remaining oil on the coastal beaches, and “... only 13 out of 32 monitored wildlife populations fully recovered”(Holleman, Marybeth). Since many animals depended on the animals that died, the food chain was heavily damaged, and is still recovering today. This incident proves that we cannot fully trust the development of Alaska's wilderness, because there can be another similar situation that could have the same impact on wildlife. 
A second reason for why I strongly disapprove the development in Alaska's wilderness is because it will pollute the area and contribute to global warming. The machineries that will help develop Alaska’s wilderness will release many harmful gases into the atmosphere such as methane, particulate matter, and nitrogen oxides. Moreover, these gases will most likely form a cloud of smoke in the air and contribute to the formation of acid rain, which will harm the environment (Devaney, Erik). This will only make climate change worse than it already is. Many oil companies strongly want to start drilling oil in Alaska, however according to Environment Protection Agency, “... oil and natural gas sector was the second highest contributor of greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide” (Plagakis, Sofia).This means that it will majorly contribute to global warming, which is not good news. We should try finding a solution to replace oil, rather than continue to harm the earth and end up having no solution when we will run out of oil.
In conclusion, the project of developing Alaska’s wilderness areas is a bad idea. It will only harm the environment, destroy the food chain, pollute the area, and contribute to global warming. Furthermore, many Americans are against the idea of any kinds of development in Alaska and even though oil drilling and other projects would bring a ton of money, it would harm the wilderness and the animals that depend on it. It is true that we are in a need of oil, but I believe that we have enough time to find other solutions rather than continue to destroy our few beautiful wild areas and pass the problem down to future generations.