Protect the National Parks! | Teen Ink

Protect the National Parks!

By buzz4prez BRONZE, Amherst, Massachusetts
buzz4prez BRONZE, Amherst, Massachusetts

“I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write.” -Voltaire

Donald Trump has begun stripping protective regulations off specific parts of national parks, leaving them up to developers to take. I understand that many people see the future of America in urbanization, but America is home to many species of animals that need homes, and if we take away parts of national parks, we're leaving animals homeless. National parks double as tourist attractions, they educate the public, give people the ability to experience nature firsthand, and create jobs through the National Forest Service (i.e forest rangers, fire watchmen, etc.) If Donald Trump is using the downsizing of national parks to follow through on his campaign promise of lowering the unemployment rate, this isn't the way to do it. He shouldn't be taking land away from national parks, nor any federal program, because doing so will have people fired. National parks are important to American heritage, they educate, keep certain species from extinction, and bring in a little revenue. We are blessed with Yellowstone, Yosemite, Acadia, Zion, Glacier and the Grand Canyon (to name a few), why are we throwing away pieces of gorgeous land with historic sine qua non?