Electric cars vs. Gas cars | Teen Ink

Electric cars vs. Gas cars

By Hurley24 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Hurley24 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

Speech
Are you tired of buying gas for your vehicle?  Well I am tired of spending $60 a week on gas for my truck.  I personally don’t have that kind of money as an athlete without a job and certainly don’t want to have to pay that much a week to transport myself.  Gas prices have been shown to drop and rise significantly all over the U.S. and prices vary from one state to the other.  For example gas prices in Nevada have a high around $2.88 and in Florida it is $5.99.  On the other hand electric cars electricity is cheaper than gas and is included in your house bill rather than cash.  I would prefer an electric car because they look cooler, drive smoother, and cost less in the long run.  The controversy in this topic is the overall cost of electric cars vs. gas cars in the long run and which car is more beneficial.
Studies show that a (DIESEL ENGINE) duramax V8 turbo diesel truck has 0.40 power to weight ratio and a Toyota brushless ac motor has 0.84 power to weight ratio (Power to Weight Ratio).  This means that an electric engine is not strong enough to make a diesel truck tow heavy objects.  Without a truck engine you will not be able to take a boat, trailer, jet skis, or transport any goods for stores.  So if you are a truck person I would not buy an electric car because it won’t get the job done. 
Next if you are worried about the prices of electric cars vs. gas cars don’t be because electric cars win in the long run.  Electric cars cost less to recharge and save more money than gas cars based only on refueling.  Studies show that electric cars need one third the amount of maintenance of a gas powered car.  But some setbacks of having an electric car are that most mechanics don’t know how to fix an electric engine and therefore you would have to go to the dealership.  Although after time your mechanic may learn how to work on an electric car and be able to fix it for cheap (How Things Work).
Some good things about gas cars are that they can be worked on by almost everyone unlike an electric car.  Also gas cars such as trucks can do the heavy duty work unlike an electric car.  But overall I believe that electric cars are better because they look cooler, run smoother, last longer, and are a money saver in the long run.
Last if you are unable to decide which car to get there is another choice of buying a hybrid car which is a mixture of gas and electric.  These cars are able to run on electricity and if your battery runs out then you can just switch to gas and keep going and not have to worry about waiting forever for your car to recharge.