Its Getting Hot | Teen Ink

Its Getting Hot

May 16, 2016
By Anonymous

The  phenomenon of global warming is among the greatest environmental challenges facing our planet. It is defined as the increase in the temperature of Earth's neon-surface air. Scientists widely believe that this climate change poses a tremendous risk to all living things. Other effects of this warming are evident in rising sea levels, the melting of ice caps (glaciers) and other significant worldwide climate changes.
An increase in global temperatures also causes a rise in sea levels.  It leads to melting of glaciers, changes the pattern of rainfall, increased intensity and frequent harsh weather. The shrinking of glaciers is going to create a major problem for drinking water. The sea levels have rose from 0.35mm to 0.4mm due to melted glaciers. Scientists believe that all glaciers will disappear in 15-25 years. Not only will it cause an issue with our drinking water but it will cause problems with food grains in most North American countries and around the world.
Carbon dioxide (CO2) is the main substance in our environment causing a warming effect on the earth’s surface. If too much CO2 is released by multiple trends more evaporation from multiple different types of water will go in the atmosphere. Since water vapor is a greenhouse gas, this causes even more warming in the air. The C02 level is expected to rise in the future due to the ongoing fossil fuels and land use change.
There is another hazardous gas called Chlorofluorocarbon (CFCs), that was outlawed in 1997 due to the big impact it has global warming and depletion of  the ozone layer. Chemicals that replaced CFCs were hydrofluorocarbons and hydrochlorofluorocarbons which are used in cars or other air conditioning systems which is not a start to stopping global warming.
Almost all people have noticed that global warming is a big issue in our world however some opposition to the concept remains despite the science behind it. Hopefully many people will soon realize that global warming is a big issue as soon as possible and will do their best to live in a responsible manner.  If we can cut down on ongoing burning fossil fuels, we can not only save the environment on earth but we can help ourselves and things around us.


The author's comments:

I thought for a while, then I found a topic that is one of the biggest issues Earth has which is global warming.