All Living Beings Deserve the Best | Teen Ink

All Living Beings Deserve the Best

We humans tend to get lost in our own thoughts when trying to find a solution to a problem. It is difficult to determine if something is right or wrong when having to see things from multiple perspectives. What may seem like a good idea at the moment, may later on turn into a mistake. Sometimes it is too late to change the past, but there is always time to prevent it from happening again in the future. We see the same issue with how marine parks and aquariums are today. At the time, it seemed like a great source of entertainment, but now we can see that holding these creatures captive have caused so much a suffering and so many complications. When it comes down to it, the initial thought should have been not stealing them from where they actually belong: the ocean.

Marine parks and aquariums were originally created for family entertainment and give these sea animals a “fulfilling” and “meaningful” life. Was this a selfless or selfish act? Naomi Rose’s article “Win, Win Solution”, states that keeping orcas in captivity is actually killing them more than helping them. They’re actually three times more likely to die in captivity than in the wild because of the urge to fight other orcas because of the close contact. Captivity becomes a horrible reality that they now have to deal with, unlike in the free roaming wild. These tight proximity tend to lead to aggression toward each other (mainly happens between males and females). Sadly, orcas would also physically abused themselves sometimes, for example by slamming their heads against the pool walls. This leads to brain damage, jaw misalignment, or just cuts and bruises on the body. Also stated in the Rose article orcas tend to gain more stress and even depression whilst in captivity. Not being able to do as they please takes a big toll on these animals, as it would any animal. People believe orcas should be let free from marine parks and aquariums because they believe captivity is killing orcas.

Many people believe that having the opportunity to actually see orcas in a more up close and personal. They say it gives people a better understanding on now these animals are and live. Confining these orcas together is actually detrimental grasping an understanding of the behaviors of these creatures. The article “Scientific Studies on Captive and free living killer whales” by A. Mel Cosentino, states that wild orcas have many diverse and different community type pacts. Orcas tend to stay together rather than fending for themselves; group up in small little communities and work together. When orcas are captured their ripped away from their groups and are forced to learn party tricks to show to an audience everyday, they show concerning signs of behavior such as depression and rage. This seems plausible for anything that is forced to perform and then is expected to back to their small, jail cell like cages.

No animal is meant to be held captive for humans own pleasures. Aquariums should only be used for sea life creatures that are in danger or need protecting. These animals should not be exploited to show off the skill of a trainer or simply for entertainment benefit of families. Seeing orcas sadly swimming in circles in captivity is not a fun thing to experience. Being able to see them swim freely in their communities doing as they please is a unique and beautiful sight. If people really wanted to see orcas then they should see them where they actually belong, not where they are forced to be.

Work Cited
"A Win-win Solution for Captive Orcas and Marine Theme Parks - CNN.com." CNN. Cable News Network, 28 Oct. 2013. Web. 25 Sept. 2015.
Cosentino, A Mel. "Panel Discussion: Scientific Issues in Data Monitoring."Statist. Med. Statistics in Medicine 12.5-6 (1993): 583-600. 9 Dec. 2013. Web. 23 Sept. 2015.

To help spread awareness on cause