Animals Should Not Be Tested on in Labs | Teen Ink

Animals Should Not Be Tested on in Labs

May 26, 2015
By justin bates BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts
justin bates BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Based on a study by the FDA, 92% of drugs that pass animal tests fail human clinical trials. If animal testing is so great then why is this?  The anatomic, metabolic, and cellular differences between animals and people make animals poor models for human beings. Theres no reason to test on animals if it's most likely not going to work anyway. It is just wasting animal lives without a purpose.

The image to the left is an example of what happens to bunnies that are subjected to lab tests. Believe it or not this picture was taken in one of L'oreal's labs, the woman’s beauty company. Do you feel good about yourself knowing that the makeup that you're wearing was created off of poor bunnies like this one. In the labs, a section of the bunnies fur is shaved off and the chemical is applied to the bare skin for around 4 hours to see if the chemical causes erosion or irritation. We can not allow this to go on any longer.
wafflesatnoon.com

The US Department of Agriculture reported in 2010 that 97,123 animals suffered pain during experiments while being given no anesthesia for relief, including 1,395 primates, 5,996 rabbits, 33,652 guinea pigs, and 48,015 hamsters. These big companies claim that the animals aren't feeling any pain. They also say that if the animal feels pain that they'd give anesthesia or another pain relieving drug but based on the report by the US Department of Agriculture, the opposite is happening. Do you still feel the same way about the companies that use animals for testing?

Less than 2% of human illnesses are ever seen in animals. To be exact 1.16%. Why sacrifice animal lives for no reason? Most of the time when a drug or other medical breakthrough passes animal trials it fails human trials, 92% of the time to be exact.  A drug known as Vioxx  had a heart protective effect in mice and other animal, exactly the opposite of how the drugs later performed in humans. The report by the PRCM also reveals that once clinical trials started showing that the drugs caused heart problems in humans, the pharmaceutical companies ignored this information and instead pointed to the animal tests as evidence that the drugs were safe. Vioxx was linked to heart attacks and strokes in up to 139,000 humans.

Although animals should not be tested on, some people feel that animals should be tested on in labs. Some even argue that animal research it totally needed to progress in research.The California Biomedical Research Association states that nearly every medical breakthrough in the last 100 years has resulted directly from research using animals. Chris Abee, the Director at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center's animal research facility, states that "we wouldn't have a vaccine for hepatitis B without chimpanzees." Animal research has found many vaccines and cures for diseases and other medical problems but it has done just an equal if not a worse sum of bad things to animals and humans.


We must put a stop to animal testing, my view on animal testing has not changed nor wavered. The facts just don’t make enough sense for me to support animal testing and i think a lot of you will feel the same way. 92% of drugs that pass animal tests do not make it past human clinical trials. Is that 8% really worth it? We need to stop supporting these big companies that test on animals or else the bunnies like the ones L’oreal uses will continue to suffer in pain. Put yourself in their position. would you like being caged and tested on for pretty much no reason? Would you like having your skin and eyes burned just so others could add a little flash to their eyes or a little color to their cheeks? Open your eyes people, we must put a stop to animal testing.

 

Works Cited
"Animal Testing - ProCon.org." ProConorg Headlines. N.p., 29 Jan. 2014. Web. 21 May 2015.
Dagmar. "33 Reasons Why Animal Testing Is Pointless." Peta2com Site Wide Activity RSS. McGrath Family Foundation, 2014. Web. 21 May 2015.
Kinburn, Dan. "Vioxx Tragedy Spotlights Failure of Animal Research." PCRM.org. The Physicians Committee, Mar. 2005. Web. 21 May 2015.