ocean pollution | Teen Ink

ocean pollution

By chloe Georvassilis BRONZE, Plymouth, Michigan
chloe Georvassilis BRONZE, Plymouth, Michigan

Most of pollution on Earth is in the oceans. A couple of weeks ago in science class, we learned about pollution in our nations and how it was spreading throughout the oceans. Guess who are the most wasteful people on the planet? That’s right, Americans. Now most of the issue is that there is not really any place to put all of our trash, so it is just being dumped into the oceans. Now, about sixty percent of this trash is recyclable material. In my own opinion I think it’s because we are just so lazy to put our recyclables into the recycle bin. People just throw them right into the trash bin. I mean really? Is it that hard to put an empty bottle into the recycle bin? When I asked my dad this question he replied with, “Well some people don’t like to watch their bins overflow with materials, and also some people  don’t have any recycle bins because they don’t want to pay for them.” Well I have some ideas to change this. At my house we just have one big trash can and one recycle bin that all gets put out to the curb on one day. Instead of this we could have say two days a week to have the trash be collected. When I asked around, the biggest response for people not having recycle bins was because they didn’t want to pay for them. Personally I do not really think that they cost that much, but the community could do also just by lowering the cost of the bins. Instead of the economy spending money on other things, they should consider the cleanup of oceans? However I do know that there is a system focused on the prevention of pollution in the oceans.