The Solution is to do Nothing | Teen Ink

The Solution is to do Nothing

April 5, 2015
By Anna.R BRONZE, Round Rock, Texas
Anna.R BRONZE, Round Rock, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Hurt me with the truth but never comfort me with a lie."
-Hiro Mashima (Manga author)


Humanity is rapidly advancing; modernizing our societies is becoming a growing priority every day! But with this amazing advancement comes a heavy baggage. We are slowly, or rather, rapidly, killing our home planet Earth. Ice caps are melting, pollution is burning our ozone, and the enormous human population just continues to grow every day. Because of all these relizations, scientists, enviormentalists, and the youth of our generation such as us have been speculating possible solutions and developing various theories on how to save our home from the impending doom it faces as industry continues to grow.

 

Well readers, I'm here to tell you that I have a slightly different opinion on how we should handle the situation; we can't! Even if humanity did discover a mind blowing solution to this problem, it would most likely take an IMMENSE ammount of time to, first, convience people that their solution will actually work, and second to actually carry out their plan while taking into account the billons of people that live on this planet. What I'm saying, is that we can't handle this situation anymore, it's gotten out of hand. If only we could hit a pause button and time could stop so that the Earth could have some breathing time to go back to a healthy state...

 

Which is why I'm saying we can't do anything, we can only sit and wait for the Earth to take things into it's own hands. Think about it this way, sometimes when you and a friend are having an argument, you know that you're the one who started it. You know that you're the one who caused this mess, and you DESPERATELY want to come clean and fix this tower you've broken and torn. But you know that if you interject any of your comments, anything you say will be used against you even if you're just trying to make things right. The only thing that you can do now is to sit and wait for you friend to calm down before you can say or do anything. It might take days, it might take weeks, but you know that once your friend calms down once again, you'll have the chance to properly explain what happened and fix the mess you made. This same tactic is what I believe we can use in restoring our Earth. If the Earth were to be void of humans for a couple hundred or thousand years, the Earth would be able to balance itself out again and regain its healthy state of being.

 

This idea has been poked at before in various movies and books (Wall-E for example) but has never been taken seriously as a possible solution to this problem. What I ask of you readers is not to understand this idea, but to think about it as a real possibilty. I ask you to keep in mind that sometimes the best solution to any problem is just to wait, be idle, unanimated, and let the other party regain its equilibrium and peace of mind at it's own pace and in it's own time.


The author's comments:

I was inspried to write this piece because of the various movies I've watched throughout my life that entertained the idea of humanity just waiting for the Earth to go back to normal and regain it's state of balance. I hope people will understand after reading this article that sometimes the best solution to a problem is to just wait and be patient.