Are Humans the Cause of Global Warming? | Teen Ink

Are Humans the Cause of Global Warming?

By sparkleunicorn13 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
sparkleunicorn13 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

A day with without sunshine is like, you know, night.

There is a major problem in our world today, a big one--global warming.  This is a problem affecting the entire world.  Many scientists have been trying to solve this problem, but to solve it, we need to know the cause.  Some say it’s obvious that humans aren’t the cause of global warming, and that there’s a bigger cause.  Others say that humans are the cause and there’s no other obvious cause.  When you take a closer look at this problem, there is an even more complex issue, with positives and negatives.  So, there are many causes of global warming, but human activity is one of the major causes of global warming because of the rising carbon dioxide levels, human activity is causing ocean levels to rise, and the increasing population is causing temperature to rise.

We know that humans are the cause of many global disasters, rising carbon dioxide is one of the many effects of humans.  Rising carbon dioxide levels are one of the major causes of global warming.  According to the EDF’s (Environment Defense Fund) website, http://www.edf.org/climate/human-activity-is-causing-global-warming, “today's CO2 levels are around 400 ppm.  That's 40% more than the highest natural levels over the past 800,000 years.” The carbon dioxide levels are measured in ppm which means parts per million. The EDF is a non-profit organization is dedicated to the environment and works on environmental issues such as global warming.  The EDF has compiled an abundance of research on the causes of global warming.  This article says that the carbon dioxide levels are 40% higher now than the highest natural levels over the past few centuries.  If the highest level was 100 ppm the levels would be 140 ppm.  When you think about it that is a lot higher than the natural levels. So, when you think about it, the levels of CO2 we are experiencing right now can’t be safe for us and the arctic animals that are affected by global warming.

While there are many reasons global warming is mostly caused by humans, the rising ocean levels that humans are causing is another reason why we know humans play a part in global warming caused global warming. An article written by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, http://climatechange.procon.org/sourcefiles/ipcc-4th-assessment-report-working-group-1-technical-summary.pdf,  states “An 8" {inch} rise in the ocean level has occurred (1961-2003) due to human-induced global warming. Global sea levels rose an average of 1.8 mm (.07 in) per year between 1961 and 2003 and at an average rate of about 3.1 mm (.1 in) per year from 1993 to 2003.” The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change is a group form of representatives from different governments around the world. They have done an abundance of research on global warming and has put it together in an informative article. The article states that the sea levels have risen eight inches in 42 years. That means that wherever you live, any sea near you has risen eight inches in less than 50 years. Although we know that there are other causes to the sea level rising, human activity is participating in the rise.

Not only the carbon dioxide levels and the ocean levels are rising, the population is rising too. The population of the world has been growing more and more each year. Although there are many positive effects that a rising population can have, there are also downfalls to more people. The rising population is causing the temperature to rise all around the world. An article written on the Center for Biological Diversity website, http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/programs/population_and_sustainability/climate/, says “A 2009 study of the relationship between population growth and global warming determined that the “carbon legacy” of just one child can produce 20 times more greenhouse gas than a person will save by driving a high-mileage car, recycling, using energy-efficient appliances, and light bulbs, etc.”  The Center for Biological Diversity works to protect animals and is dedicated to environment. They have done tons of research on global warming and has written a credible article on how the population affects the climate. The article says that a child produces 20 times more greenhouse gases than you can safe using environment friendly machinery. The environmentally friendly machines are good for the environment, but the growing population is backtracking their progress. 

Given the abundance of credible evidence I have provided, we can prove that humans are one of the major causes of global warming.  Global warming is a worldwide problem and has been effecting everyone. Now you should try to fix this. Start finding ways to help around your community to minimize the impact humans have on global warming. If you can do something about global warming, you can help encourage others to make a difference. So, get out there and change the world.