Are Carbon Emissions Polluting the Environment? | Teen Ink

Are Carbon Emissions Polluting the Environment?

By Jdkaz BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Jdkaz BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
-Abraham Lincoln

You all may know about carbon emissions and how they produce most of our energy, but what you may not know is that we should not be putting that much carbon emissions into the air.  This has now become a problem due to climate changes.  Some say that we need this energy to run businesses or our homes, but on the other side people are saying, “Hey if we get solar panels or our area switches to wind power we would not have to pay bills all the time it would be one and done.”  As we look at this problem we can see that we need to make the switch.  We should not be putting in as much carbon as we do now, because it’s, causing climate changes, economic problems, and most of all air pollution.

While carbon emissions run these machines, they are creating more, climate changes that are taking huge effects on the Arctic Circle.  According to Whitehouse.gov President Obama made this quote, “We can choose to believe that superstorm Sandy, and the most severe drought in decades, and the worst wildfire some states have ever seen were all just a freak coincidence. Or we can choose to believe in the overwhelming judgement of science — and act before it’s too late." - President Obama.  This is telling us that he wants to make the world we live in a better place before he leaves office.  Also another quote from whitehouse.org is “Wind power has tripled, and energy from the sun has increased tenfold. U.S. carbon emissions have fallen by 10 percent from 2007 to 2013 – the largest absolute emissions reduction of any country in the world.  To build on that progress, President Obama has taken a series of ambitious steps to combat climate change.”-Unknown.  These quotes are both from our nation's President or employees, and for most true. This article is telling us that we have to cut emissions by even more. This means if we do not keep cutting emissions, we are going to have much more trouble with our environment.  So you can choose a dead environment or a clean and healthy one.

Another reason for reducing carbon emissions is our economic status.  Money is slowly going down the drain paying for more gasoline to run machines that create the carbon emissions.  According to the article Fracking: Pro and Con by now.tufts.edu said, “While fracking {the process of injecting liquid at high pressure into subterranean rocks, boreholes, etc., so as to force open existing fissures and extract oil or gas.} has created jobs and contributed to record-low natural gas prices, it comes with another kind of potential cost: risks to our environment and health that some say are far too high.” Considering that they are a college they do lots of research.  This article quote is telling us that hey it’s great for us, we have to pay less money for gas, but oh wait, the government is going to raise taxes so they can keep these machines running.  They say risks to our environment it’s like taking a little bit of nature at a time, and also health risks for most of whom work in those factories like the website news.stanford.edu say “In the U.S, upward of 20,000 air-pollution-related deaths per year are due to this greenhouse gas.” Right now there are 317.9 million people in the U.S and on average there are 40,000 per year now including other deaths.  We are losing more lives than we are making.  So again, do you want a healthy life or one where you want one where you don’t exist?

This is a another big reason, air pollution.  Air pollution has taken the lives of  humans, but not just humans, animals too.  According to air-quality.org they say “There is a great deal of variability between animal classes, species, and even genotypes, in terms of the level of tolerance to a particular pollutant, and this will harm and kill them.”  This means if we don't find a way to get carbon emissions to go down, I hope you expect to find dead animals laying everywhere and title waves crashing into your condo. We can do something about this right now so lets get out there and have a beautiful environment  and a safe life.

As we consider what our country, state, city, town will, do we can take a stand too.  We need to stop putting out carbon emissions to make this place a safer one for us to live in.  When you see or hear something about this topic think about the animals dying every day or the people risking their lives just for you to have electricity.  You should write a letter to our government or go to the representative personally to talk to them how you can take part in your community.