Environmental Problem | Teen Ink

Environmental Problem

Are we doing a good job to protect the environment? Many people will say yes because of the “Green” organizations like the WNO (World Nature Organization)  or like ESGP( Earth System Environmental Project) actively involved fixing environmental problem. But actually our situation is not that positive. Our Earth is almost drained out of oil and bodies of water are contaminated. Now Earth is suffering from Global Warming , air pollution and water pollution.

Earth is suffering the most from Global Warming. Global Warming is the situation which heat can not escape Earth [a]and create severe weather change. For example the hurricane Sandy which cause $68 billion damage when it was sweeping across eight country[b] in 2012. Another example is the rising of sea level. Because when the temperature inside earth’s atmosphere rise, glacier around Antarctica and Arctic Circle are melting. What cause Global Warming is the greenhouse effect.[c] The greenhouse gases that cause Global warming are water vapor, which causes about 36–70% of the greenhouse effect; carbon dioxide (CO2), which causes 9–26%; methane (CH4), which causes 4–9%; and ozone (O3), which causes 3–7%. [d]What can we do to produce less carbon dioxide? We can carpool others, drive green energy cars and take public transportation.

Earth is suffering the second from air pollution. Air pollution is usually like smog or haze, which mainly affect the clarity of the sky.  But there is another horrible thing called PM 2.5 in side haze or smog. Particles in the PM2.5 size range are able to travel deeply into the respiratory tract, reaching the lungs. Exposure to fine particles can cause short-term health effects such as eye, nose, throat and lung irritation, coughing, sneezing, runny nose and shortness of breath. E[e]xposure to fine particles can also affect lung function and worsen medical conditions such as asthma and heart disease which may cause death. The government can stop this by eliminate factories that create too many harmful gases. The electricity company can produce electricity by using wind energy, hydropower and solar energy.

Earth is suffering the third from water pollution. In this category there are two major kind of pollution. Oil pollution which comes from the leakage of gasoline in the ocean. Oil cannot dissolve in water and forms a thick sludge on the surface. [f]This suffocates fish, gets caught in the feathers of marine birds stopping them from flying and blocks light from photosynthetic aquatic plants. Chemical water pollution which comes from factories’ polluted water. When it gets into water source like a river or stream it pollutes the clean water.  We can help preventing water pollution by minimize oil drilling in the ocean and to purify harmful chemicals waste before entering rivers.

“Every action there is a reaction.” from Newton's third law, if we do not protect the earth now, we will have more environmental problems in the future. It will cost more money to fix it.We as a society should carpool others, drive green energy cars, take public transportation.The government can stop air pollution by eliminate factories that create too many harmful gases. To stop air pollution the electricity company should produce electricity by using wind energy, hydropower and solar energy. To prevent water pollution we should  minimize oil drilling in the ocean and to purify harmful chemicals waste before entering rivers. If we do this we could minimize Global Warming, air pollution and water pollution in the future .