Animal Neglect Needs to Stop | Teen Ink

Animal Neglect Needs to Stop

February 13, 2015
By yoitsholly BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts
yoitsholly BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"'Never make permanent decisions on temporary feelings."


Did you know over 1,880 cases of animal cruelty cases were submitted in 2007? When most people witness animal cruelty, they will report it and feel devastated. It’s that few percent that keep animal neglect around. There are stories that just make people’s eyes water and make their ears steam.
          

In 2006, a 10 week old terrier puppy was harshly picked up and thrown in an alleyway by a 34 year old woman.  She dumped  Penny (the dog) there because apparently they had an fight. Another time, a witness saw a 41 year old man forcefully throw her over a fence. Penny started to screech, yap, and whimper. She had old and new fractures all over. The newer facture was of her right leg and the older fractures were two of her ribs. The men and woman were both charged from these acts. Stories like these make people furious and upset, so that’s why people should take more control on this subject.
     

Survey results show that 4/4 people think that animal neglect makes people sad and angry. One response says “I feel like it’s very disrespectful and cruel.” The people who took this survey feel very strong about this topic. The results show that people think that people who take their anger out on animals are “brainless” and “think it is mean and rude to take their anger out on a human being.” The survey also shows that ¾ of the people think animal abuse is the worst way of animal neglect. Half of the people who took this survey thought that their was animal abuse in Massachusetts. These results show a lot of  feedback about how bad animal neglect is and how much of it we see animal neglect around our area.
      

Anonymous people answered a couple of questions about animal neglect. One person said  animal neglect is “not nice.” Another said  “it shouldn’t be a huge topic because it shouldn’t be an issue if they give pets out wisely.”  The last person said “I hate it because animals should be treated with respect just like humans, they’re living things too!” All of these answers show that animal neglect is not a joke.
       

Before shelters let any person buy an animal, they should do background checks on the people trying to buy the animal. Every shelter should do this because then they will know if the person has a criminal record  and give the animal to someone who will love it just like a human. The Buddy Dog Shelter, here in Sudbury, does background check to make sure the anima is being put into a nice house with loving owners. The Buddy Dog Shelter was like Tom Brady stopping the Seahawks to win the Super Bowl.
           

Another way we could try to stop Animal Neglect is to make collars to hear what the animals are saying or doing to the pets. So, if the collar records a man slapping a cat and hearing the cat cry afterwards, they would know he’s guilty and will take the pet away. The collar could have a headquarters where people listen to one collar at a time and see if anything bad is happening. But, the collar could be just for the people with criminal records so they could take out pets. So, everyone wins, the pets are happy and the owners are happy.
        

I hope those animal cruelty cases lower since we have better technology now. And  no will barely have to submit anymore cases, so everyone will be happy. When people don’t hear about these kind of cases it’s just music to their ears. So, lets keep animals and their owners happy without animal neglect.