Clean Water for All

By Maria Imperiali BRONZE, Townsend, Massachusetts
Maria Imperiali BRONZE, Townsend, Massachusetts

Water is the most abundant and most precious natural resource on earth! Without water, all organisms could not live or grow. Thus the necessity of water is recognized by many, but still people have no problem polluting the water around them. People pollute water in many different ways, such as excess levels of sewage, fertilizers, runoff from river banks and other substances that are sometimes put into sources of water.
When sewage and fertilizers get dumped into sources of water, they deposit nutrients such as nitrates and phosphates. Too much of these nutrients in water over stimulate the growth of aquatic plants and algae. The enormous growth of these plants and algae clog the waterways and use up dissolved oxygen as they decompose, and block light to deeper waters. This is harmful to the respiration ability to plants, algae, fish, and other invertebrates that are aquatic.
When other toxic wastes such as runoff are put into water sources, the water can not undergo eutrophication. Eutrophication is a natural aging process that slowly fills in the water body with sediment and organic matter. This makes the levels of dissolved oxygen drop and many aquatic organisms can not survive when this happens.

on Apr. 23 2011 at 9:47 am
writerofmusic SILVER, Eaton, Colorado

\"The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say.\" ~Anaïs Nin

Great use of works...some of the sentences could flow a bit better but its a good start

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!