Our Tragedies are our strengths | Teen Ink

Our Tragedies are our strengths

By Hager2015 GOLD, Staten Island New York, New York
Hager2015 GOLD, Staten Island New York, New York

"There is nothing impossible to him who will try." -Alexander The Great

Many people fall down and go through great losses in life. But that doesn’t mean that you can’t learn from your experiences and build upon them to make your life much easier. The Tibetan saying, “Tragedy should be utilized as a strength”, means that in every life changing event you should use it as learning experience to help you in the future.
In the article, “Surviving Hurricane Sandy”, Ariel had helped in her hometown Rockaway to improve their city by using Hurricane Sandy in mind to help them rebuild. In the article we learned that thousands of homes were destroyed and millions of residents lost power. Some homes were washed away by the sea. This was a great tragedy that occurred in Rockaway. Residents of Rockaway rebuild their homes using more elevated foundations. Ariel Creamer, a resident of Rockaway created a Facebook page which accepted donations to help victims of Hurricane Sandy. This, like the Tibetan saying shows the strength after tragedy.
In the article, “After the Disaster,” as people were rebuilding they were able to rebuild using their experiences of Hurricane Katrina to help them rebuild. In the article, we learned that in 2005 Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast killing at least 1,833 people, leaving eighty percent of New Orleans flooded. This is the tragedy in the Tibetan saying. Now New Orleans has been rebuild and it’s stronger than ever. They were also able to create a safer environment that included flood proof houses that were elevated and included many new foundations. This, like the Tibetan saying shows the strength after tragedy.
So next time a tragedy occurs to you or anywhere in the world always remembers that you could always build upon your experiences to turn them into something that will help you succeed in the future if it ever happens again.

when i wrote this piece i refered to a very captivating article i had read many months ago. this article had let me think deeper into what the true meaning of the Tibetan saying "tragedy should be utilized as a strength" really means.