Solar Power | Teen Ink

Solar Power

By RaluOnyiuke SILVER, Palmdale, California
RaluOnyiuke SILVER, Palmdale, California

What is Solar Power? Solar means sun and is also relating to energy that is caught from the sun’s heat rays. Solar power is the conversion of the sun’s rays into electricity. Right now in this period for our world called earth solar energy has the power to greatly change the way our world gets and uses energy. Right now people are really depending on electricity to get work done. Energy now is generated by oil and coal which houses built now use. Solar panels are used to absorb the energy. Photovoltaic panels are the solar panels that are used for homes and large complexes. This solar panel gathers all the energy it collects and stores it all into one place.

According to energy quest “Indirectly, the sun or other stars are responsible for ALL our energy. Even nuclear energy comes from a star because the uranium atoms used in nuclear energy were created in the fury of a nova – a star exploding” http://energyquest.ca.gov/story/chapter15.html.

According to Green Revolution “Coming up with better ways to get where we need to go and power the lives we live requires creativity, ingenuity and hard work. As part of the “Green Revolution” series we visited researchers all over the country and asked them lots of questions about the energy, fuels and technologies they are working on to make our lives better in the future. Everyone we talked to was excited about our future in a world powered by clean energy” http://www.nsf.gov/news/special_reports/greenrevolution/. Solar energy is coming a very long way now. In where I live now I see solar panels everywhere. Solar panels are in almost every school and high school in the Palmdale school district and the Palmdale high school district.

Using solar power in schools is a very good idea. One reason is it saves the schools a lot of money, and it cuts down on how much energy is used. More energy hits the USA than the average energy we use in a day. There are multiple technologies used to create energy from solar power or energy. The form of using solar energy has been around since ancient Egypt, but back then it was just used in a different way and people weren’t aware of it but they really knew how to use it. Then later in the 1950’s the Bell Corporation was the first to develop first solar cell. A physicist named Antoine-Cesar Becquerel 1893 was the first to really discover the solar attributes of the sun and the solar cell.in 1941 an American name Russell Ohl made the first silicon cell and harvested the power of the solar energy. It was also said to be that Leonardo da Vinci produced the first sketches of the idea related to harnessing solar energy.

According to envhist.wisc.edu “An often overlooked element in discussions of energy is how energy gets moved (or not) from place to place. On a page called the grid, you'll find an introduction to the distribution of energy in both the past and the present” http://www.eia.gov/kids/energy.cfm.

For some reason people are now deciding to not focus on solar energy so I thought to myself I was wondering if having solar panels were expensive but that didn’t really seem to be much of a big problem to people, but then according to eia.gov “In the past, renewable energy has generally been more expensive to produce and use than fossil fuels. Renewable resources are often located in remote areas, and it is expensive to build power lines to the cities where the electricity they produce is needed. The use of renewable sources is also limited by the fact that they are not always available — cloudy days reduce solar power; calm days reduce wind power; and droughts reduce the water available for hydropower. The production and use of renewable fuels has grown more quickly in recent years as a result of higher prices for oil and natural gas, and a number of state and federal government incentives, including the Energy Policy Acts of 2002 and 2005. The use of renewable fuels is expected to continue to grow over the next 30 years, although EIA projects that we will still rely on non-renewable fuels to meet most of our energy needs” http://www.eia.gov/kids/energy.cfm. The use of solar power is always going to be here for use to use it, but then some companies just take advantage of that so they just don’t focus on it because they know it’s always going to be there. Companies don’t really think about what is going to save them money they just think about how there go to make money.

Solar Power, are we going to find new ways to use it? Who knows we might just go through a new breakthrough in our era and discover new ways to use solar power. If our economy uses solar power more it would save us so much money. This is the reason people try to buy only electronics like for example rechargeable cars if you have solar power maybe half of that energy will be natural energy, almost everything these days are electronic and solar power makes it easier for electronic devices to last because, solar energy in electronics makes it safer for the electronic device. This is a good reason why solar power is good for my school and all other school students in every school use so much of the schools electronics so that gives schools a reason to use solar power so that school can cut down how much energy is used and it is also safer.

Old contest entry wanted to give it a try here.