Burn, Consume, Destroy | Teen Ink

Burn, Consume, Destroy MAG

By luv2bLDS BRONZE, Peoria, Arizona
luv2bLDS BRONZE, Peoria, Arizona

At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say that there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough.

“Whoa,” we exclaim in unison, staring intently out the car window as ominous clouds of black and gray swirl to the sky.

“Cool,” my brother says.

“Pretty,” whispers my sister.

“Terrifying,” I breathe silently.

The blood-red sun, draped in a veil of thick smoke, sinks further beneath the burning mountains. Everything in my vision, on the left side of our car, is aflame. Orange and red work fiercely, destroying everything in its path.

“Burn,” the fire seems to say, “Burn and consume. Consume it all,” as it grows even hungrier with a literal burning desire to destroy.

On my right, the world goes on as usual. The sky is clear blue, and the only clouds are fluffy and white, like cotton balls. Several cows loiter in a yellow-brown field, chewing dead grass nonchalantly. They show no sign of witnessing the a horrifying event. Birds chirp happily in their nests, insects buzz along, all unaware of the raging monster chanting, “Burn. Consume. Burn. Destroy.”

The scene still haunts me. How can the rest of the world be so ignorant of this tragedy, of the houses destroyed, the homes abandoned, the beauty of nature reduced to ashes, the courageous men and women fighting the flames so valiantly? Or, more importantly, the lives that have been lost?

Maybe things won't change. But even if most remain unconcerned about the wildfires burning up our country, I am one person who has been affected by three whispered words: Burn, Consume, Destroy.

I felt the need to share the feelings I experienced when I drove past a wildfire in Utah.

In_Love_with_Writing GOLD, Easton, Pennsylvania

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

I liked it a lot. Can you comment and rate some of my work?

Imaginedangerous PLATINUM, Riverton, Utah
I live in Utah, and this is such a true article. Most of the state was on fire last summer. Wildfires are awe-inspiring and sometimes beautiful, but they can also be terrifying. Out of curiosity, which fire is this based on? Where was it?

GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana

"Let's tell young people the best books are yet to be written; the best painting, the best government, the best of everything is yet to be done by them."
-John Erslcine

It liked this.  I know what it is like to watch a fire at in it's rage so I could really relate to your writing.