Making A Difference This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

We, as young adults, can have a great impact on the ecological future of our earth. We could encourage high schools to take part and get active in surrounding communities. If we want the twenty-first century to sustain wildlife and vegetation, we have to conserve and protect our natural resources.

Many species of plant and animal life become extinct every day. This makes me wonder what the future holds in store for the next generation. No one wants the common squirrel to be just another animal that can be found only in an encyclopedia.

It is time for students to show how much they care about the environment. They should try to encourage their schools to set up clubs that would correspond to Greenpeace, National Wildlife Federation, National Audubon Society, and other conservation groups. By giving small donations, distributing pamphlets telling how to help, or even by adopting a whale, we can make positive changes in our environment. Students can help by doing simple tasks like sorting paper and aluminum for recycling and buying only biodegradable and non-aerosol products. Young adults of today must accept responsibility for their natural surroundings and realize that by caring about the earth, they are helping to save it. n